The Ref Stop

Milan derby - CL Semi Final

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Thoughts on the VAR review and overturned Inter penalty decision?

Contact appeared minimal, but clear and obvious error by the referee? My initial thought was the referee was being asked to review potential DOGSO as the defender made no attempt to play the ball. Interesting!

The Ref Stop
I suspect the referee told VAR he thought there was contact with the legs. There wasn't, and the only contact was a brush of the arm on his side, absolutely not a penalty and VAR have come to the right decision..

Love how the former players thought it was a stonewall pen but 2 FIFA refs eventually thought it wasn't. I would agree with the AC Milan defenders in saying if its not a pen then it must be a dive and he should of been booked for simulation!

Will say a top FIFA ref with the view he had probably should of got that right first time around though.

The TV panel seem convinced there was foot contact. I didn’t see that at all.

If there was any contact, and I haven’t seen any, it was trifling. And it was simulation and an attempt to deceive the referee. For me clear yellow card.

So, also, yes, C&O, good VAR intervention. Also poor from the ref who may have been too close to the incident.

Minimal contact of any kind seems to be enough for ex-player pundits to justify what is essentially simulation, yet elsewhere on the pitch the same pundits would be saying there wasn’t enough contact to warrant a foul.

In one way I thought it was similar to the Southampton pen in the forest game regarding the amount of contact, it looked very minimal at best and I'm surprised VAR did not get involved in the forest game but I guess as Walton says it's not really a clear and obvious error if you do see a little touch hence I think in the PL game the VAR did not get involved yet they did here and I'm for that because all it will do is encouraging an exaggerated fall in the hope a decision will be made.

Reactions: es1
Back