A&H

Middlesbrough vs Huddersfield

Joshref

RefChat Addict
Middlesbrough defender plays a back pass and keeper catches it to stop it going in. Easy indirect free kick. More amusing is the reaction of the Huddersfield players, asking for a red card. The commentators show their knowledge as always, with great quotes such as “I don’t know what the law says about that” “it is a denial of a goal scoring opportunity” and “the referee doesn’t seem interested. This will be a controversial moment.”

Idk, I thought the law of not being able to sanction a keeper for a back pass was relatively well known.

A&H International
I don't think it's that surprising that people would think this is a red card. After all it's a player who has done something illegal to stop a goal from happening. We just saw a game in Japan have to get replayed because the referee sent off the keeper feels very thing.

Middlesbrough defender plays a back pass and keeper catches it to stop it going in. Easy indirect free kick. More amusing is the reaction of the Huddersfield players, asking for a red card. The commentators show their knowledge as always, with great quotes such as “I don’t know what the law says about that” “it is a denial of a goal scoring opportunity” and “the referee doesn’t seem interested. This will be a controversial moment.”

Idk, I thought the law of not being able to sanction a keeper for a back pass was relatively well known.
I actually think it should be a requirement that commentators should know the laws. This way when they see things like this they won't be saying "controversial" stuff and making it hard for us at weekends in our amateur games.

On the subject of this, I do, however, agree it is technically denying an obvious goal.
I remember watching Brentford v Chelsea nearly 10 years ago I think in the FA Cup at Griffin Park. Back pass by Terry I think, keeper dived on it to stop Donaldson running through with an empty net. Keeper wasn't in a position to use anything but his hands and stopped a strong chance of a goal. Think this would have made it 3-1 at the time. Chelsea equalised and went on to win the replay denying Brentford a famous win.

I’m not disagreeing with their right. I can completely understand why it’s wanted.

However, I just feel like the commentators especially should know better

I’m fairness to the commentators, they did clarify later on that it wasn’t a sending off and explained the law correctly

Back