A&H

Micro shin pads

I admit to only doing a cursory glance for pads when I do boot and jewellery etc.

On Saturday I had a player grass up an opposition player and it turned out he was wearing micro pads, probably about 2" square!

The Referee Store
It's disgusting that the authorities haven't done something to clampdown on this. Why does it always take a horrific accident to happen before things change. You know it's coming !

View attachment 7064
This style should be mandatory at all levels.
Those are the kind that, once they became available, I always wore when playing. They seemed a little cumbersome at first but I soon got used to them and once I did, I couldn't have gone back to the older, smaller type without ankle protection, without feeling horribly exposed.

For me at least, the ankle protectors were probably more useful than the shin guard part - I used to get more kicks on the ankle than on the shin.

How do we as referees know a player is wearing shin pads? They could have anything vaguely rectangular down their socks.
I once saw a player stuff cardboard down his socks. Some players would rather put themselves at risk of injury than miss out on a game of football.

I once saw a player stuff cardboard down his socks. Some players would rather put themselves at risk of injury than miss out on a game of football.
Ive witnessed Saturdays paper go down the socks.
To be fair, a wad of paper probably carries more safety for the played than these micro pads.

Those are the kind that, once they became available, I always wore when playing. They seemed a little cumbersome at first but I soon got used to them and once I did, I couldn't have gone back to the older, smaller type without ankle protection, without feeling horribly exposed.

For me at least, the ankle protectors were probably more useful than the shin guard part - I used to get more kicks on the ankle than on the shin.
And me. The ankle protectors saved me from countless injuries when I fell victim to "forwards tackles" whilst clearing the ball. One such tackle broke the plastic so I dread to think what would have happened if I'd just been wearing normal shin pads.

This shinpads were just the best. As you say, the ankle protection was great. In those days the tackles used to really fly in, aswell

This shinpads were just the best. As you say, the ankle protection was great. In those days the tackles used to really fly in, aswell
Yeah, and I never found them uncomfortable or impactful in any way, so no idea why players these days are going with tiny ones.

Out of all these discussions and information provided n this forum, and others, it’s seems clear to me that as a referee I have NO AUTHORITY over “Shinpads” in any way, shape or form … I’m also a Club Welfare Officer - so wear two hats - I want our players at my club to be properly protected so, until our committee or league is convinced to ban unsuitable pads (how to define????) I will plan to “educate “ letting parents /adult players know the pitfalls.

As a referee I will attempt to continue that education “where possible” … it seems to me best I can do … 🤷

How do we as referees know a player is wearing shin pads? They could have anything vaguely rectangular down their socks.

True story: a few years ago, one of our students didn’t have/had lost/couldn’t find his shin pads so ended up using two calculators for shin pads in an inter-school game.

As both a maths teacher and refereeI was horrified when I heard about this!

True story: a few years ago, one of our students didn’t have/had lost/couldn’t find his shin pads so ended up using two calculators for shin pads in an inter-school game.

Sounds like the idea added up to me ! ;)

I do have to say that I wore small shin pads, probably only slightly larger than the micro ones when playing. I wore them for a good 10plus years. I saw a good friend of mine break his ankle wearing the full shin pad and ankle guard and he bit through the mouth piece of the gas and air when the paramedic cut it off. I decided at that point to wear small slip in ones that could be whipped out easily if needed.

I was a fairly robust centre half and I ended up with a few scrapes on my legs but I knew the risk of wearing smaller and was my choice. I found them much more comfortable and never had an issue.

Seen quite a few leg breaks with the full pad and ankle guard which aren’t pleasant. I think it’s all down to player preference and if they are not a risk to other players and as long as they are wearing them it’s upto the player to choose to wear what they wish.

He should have been commended for taking a calculated risk .

I have asked the question of “higher authority” and have received TWO polar opposite views … all I can say is that I can only stick with the letter of the law AND as I am not acquitted technically to define “adequate” or what a Shinpad is (can it indeed be a rolled up newspaper/credit card/biscuit Tin lid?) Then I will have to step back and make huge assumption that “the player” knows what a shin pad is and my only job is to ensure that they are wearing “a shinpad” - doesn’t make me comfortable but neither does sitting on the fence …

Attachments

• IMG_5217.png
    IMG_5217.png
    222 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5192.jpeg
    IMG_5192.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 18
Back