george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #7
Mexico v Poland
Tuesday, 22 November 2022
19:00 local time (11:00 EST, 16:00 GMT)
Doha

Referee: Christopher Beath (AUS)

Assistant Referee 1: Anton Shchetinin (AUS)
Assistant Referee 2: Ashley Beecham (AUS)
Fourth Official: Stéphanie Frappart (FRA)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Neuza Back (BRA)
Video Assistant Referee: Shaun Evans (AUS)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Nicolás Gallo (COL)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Martín Soppi (URU)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Juan Soto (VEN)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Djibril Camara (SEN)

The Referee Store
Moreno's left boot blocks Lewandoski's leg, so I agree with Socals interpretation. Arguable that the shirt tug was clear, and could have been called.

Didn't like the commentators comment of 'this ref isn't big enough to go against VAR'.

Good spot and call in my opinion

True the VAR replay was actually a wide angle from behind the goal so not showing the holding. I would have preferred the clear holding offence penalised with DOGSO red.

True the VAR replay was actually a wide angle from behind the goal so not showing the holding. I would have preferred the clear holding offence penalised with DOGSO red.
Great save from Ochoa in the end. I wonder if frustration will show in Poland soon

The close clearly showed the shirt pulling. The replay angle for the ref was rubbish. They really had no better camera?

Missed DOGSO-r for me. The shirt pulling is blatant. Punish the worst offence. Has to be red.

The close clearly showed the shirt pulling. The replay angle for the ref was rubbish. They really had no better camera?

Missed DOGSO-r for me. The shirt pulling is blatant. Punish the worst offence. Has to be red.
Choice of replay angle is awful - really I think is another reason why "being a good ref" should be nowhere near the top priority for choosing top-level VAR's.

Familiarity with the technology, ability to parse multiple camera angles to choose the correct one without additional delay and an understanding of what can be misleading about stills and slow-mo are all more relevant than high-level match experience IMO.

One of the biggest problems I have with VAR is that refs have trained 30 years to referee on the field - they are certainly not world class video editors!

1669207284192.png
5 or 6 big screens, and then an individual monitor that can be split into multiple sub-pictures. Being able to parse information coming from that many sources is a skill that has to be developed, not something that everyone (particularly 40+ YO officials) will just innately have.

And it leads to mistakes such as what we're discussing here, where an official has been unable to effectively consider all the information available and so has made the wrong choice of images as a result.

It's the Armageddon paradox - is it easier to a) train officials to be able to control a VAR room effectively, or b) to take someone who has experience running a room like that and get them to go through the referee course and some other supplementary training? A sounds better in principal, but when you're insisting on using active top-level officials, they don't have time to develop the necessary skills to allow them to do the more technical part of the job properly.

Back