A&H

Mentoring

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
I’m mentoring a referee in his first fixture this Sunday. Is there anything you’d look at as an early progression point, something which should be a focus from day 1 rather than something you learn over time? The game is Under 11’s. I don’t want to be going in saying ‘do this, this, this and this’ when realistically it should come over time

The Referee Store
Yes, enjoy, which is the most important thing
Get a feel for being out there, confidence, have faith in what you are giving and relax.
I tend to go practical at the end of new ref games, show by example rather than tell, maybe along lines of "you stood here but try from here because", and demonstrate signals/whistle, interact and keep it light hearted, even if it means saying "and yes, you did get that wrong, but here is why", and indeed leave the dialogue on a high focussing on something positive.

I’m mentoring a referee in his first fixture this Sunday. Is there anything you’d look at as an early progression point, something which should be a focus from day 1 rather than something you learn over time? The game is Under 11’s. I don’t want to be going in saying ‘do this, this, this and this’ when realistically it should come over time

At that level of football, it is "Does he makes decisions and blow the whistle?". Most young referees don't/can't make decisions, so the game just trundles by - getting them to do something is the most important thing in their first few matches.

Oh, and make sure they have a watch. I referee I went to see timed the game on his phone - having it his hand all 30 mins for each half.....:wall:

Before the game "Don't be nervous about making mistakes. I made lots of them in my first game and every referee I mentored was the same. Don't dwell over them. Don't be afraid to make decisions and when you blow that whistle, blow the hell out of it."

After the game its more about finding positive things to say to build up their confidence and a couple basic areas of improvement. Common ones are simple positioning (e,g get closer to play), Signalling, whistle tone. Make it clear that you are deliberately leaving some things out so they can concentrate on the ones you pointed out.

Some of this may help too: https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/giving-effective-refereeing-advice.12549/

Last edited:
Back