A&H

Junior/Youth may have a junior game this weekend

andy love

Level 7 Referee
hi all,

just a quick one, i may have a game this weekend coming up not sure which age group, but i was wandering if anyone here has advise on as to how to apply the LOTG. as i have heard some where before that we are to try and coach kids on the laws not punish them, unless it bad enough to so yellow/red. that positive intervention is the best way of managing the game with kids if that makes sense.

The Referee Store
Depends on the age really. What age group are you reffing?

just found out last night u12s. so that should still be 90 mins normal size pitch right.

No way. Check with the league/managers the time for each half. I did a u13 game this season and they played 35min each half

don't know never done one before, guess this won't add to my 6 games as it needs to be 11v11, league appointer is bringing the league handbook around on thursday. so i shall have a look then, i did have my hands on FA guide lines not long ago but now i can't find them even online.

Ref it as a normal game, except things like throw ins - give them a 2nd chance if they foul throw on the 1st.
any dissent should be cracked down on hard - probably harder than an open age game.
fouls - gauge them anything bad should be caution or red card but man manage things as well using the captain as they need to learn this at a young age.

U12 is 35 mins, on a slightly smaller pitch, still 11 v 11.

Applying LOTG - common sense. Mistimed tackles, just tell them to be careful and not be silly. As Arran said, 2nd chance (each team) for a foul throw. Manager's will appreciate it and players will learn. Coach them (from ref POV) through the game. Explain, in simple terms, why you're doing what you're doing. Just enjoy it, it will be a good runaround.

ok thanks guys, one last question, as it is 11v11 can i still use this as one of my 6 games even though it is on a smaller pitch and 35 mins long.

unlikely in my opinion. i believe it has to be at least 16's

It's not for promotion is it? If not, there's no reason why it wouldn't count towards your 6 games.

yeah i think it counts towards promotion from lvl 9 to lvl 8/7, to complete module 5 of the basic referee course.

ok just got my league hand book and it says it is 11v11 30mins each half, and the league appointer said to right i can claim it as one of my first 6 games as the rules say it has to be 11v11 and does not mention time of each half that is of course his opinion. just waiting for RDO to get back to me with this one, after all it is he who i send my first six into.

ok chaps for your info i have had a reply from devon fa RDO in regards to 6 games.

Yes that would count. The advice from the FA is that any game 9v9 that has offside and over would count so not problem with this one.

Back