A&H

Matchday Coaches

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Saw this on a CFA's website.

What would your instructions to Team Officials be? And what do you say to CAR's especially at youth level pre-match?Screenshot_20220821-184742_OneDrive.jpg

The Referee Store
I just tell my CAR’s- ins, out and offsides. If I find they’re more experienced- I’m doing county u18 this upcoming season and in the pre season friendlies I’ve done, they seem to provide some CAR’s which have done it a fair amount. Some are even qualified or ex qualified Ref’s- for them I will say ins, outs and offsides and I will maybe let them flag for a foul throw as well and will ask them for penalties to take up a proper position to give me over the line/ keeper too far off his line.

Last edited:
At grassroots, team officials can mean the coach, captain if no coach, or then whoever is holding the team sheet. If it’s normal where you are to chat with the manager or coach or captain… there are lots of threads about pre match briefing but a lot comes down to what is normal amd expected in your country/leagues.

Yeah, I think "pre-match" with a team official means well before the match. Introductions when you turn up, when you want the team sheets and when you want the CAR to come and be briefed is pretty much all you'd expect unless something unusual happens.

For the CAR's, it is simply what you would normally do. Some areas of the country allows CAR to give offsides, free-kicks, etc; so I would expect a good briefing. In the other areas where it is simple ball in/out, there is not much to add other than "ask who is doing it, and say you want a clear flag".

For Team officials, it is to introduce yourself, get the team sheets and check the subs details. Also, if "repeat substitutions", then to wait for permission to make the change.

Back