A&H

Match ban question

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
Hi all

Looking to pick some brains…

I have been asked by a lad that I know about the process of cards and match bans.. here is the situation..

Sent off 2YC yesterday in a cup final.

Is playing a league game on Wednesday and then a cup final on Thursday.

Will he be banned in time to serve the ban for the league game and then play in the cup final?

If not, can he appeal and if he appeals will that offset the process anyway so he will be able to play in both games?

Thanks in advance

A&H International
Hi all

I have been asked by a lad that I know about the process of cards and match bans.. here is the situation..

Will he be banned in time to serve the ban for the league game and then play in the cup final?

If not, can he appeal and if he appeals will that offset the process anyway so he will be able to play in both games?

Thanks in advance
Suspensions for red cards at grassroots level start seven days from the date of the sending off, so he'll be free to play both Wednesday and Thursday.

(By the way, there would be no way of appealing the red card, except for a claim for mistaken identity)

It's not really a refereeing matter so probably best to refer the questioner to the local association rather than risk giving incorrect advice.

It's not really a refereeing matter so probably best to refer the questioner to the local association rather than risk giving incorrect advice.
Agreed - @Bonref34 : you also don't know if he has a previous sending off this season, as that will up the period of suspension.

Hi all

Thanks in advance

Cautions are not normally appealable either so would be pointless in this case.

Nothing to do with refereeing and as stated above, should be addressed to relevant bodies

Nothing to do with refereeing and as stated above, should be addressed to relevant bodies
Absolutely the correct response if someone is asking you after a match where you've shown cards - blank them, say it's nothing to do with you, get out of the conversation ASAP.

Given that's clearly not the context here, I think it's perfectly reasonable to try and be helpful, albeit given the caveats Lincs and Tealeaf have brought up it's unlikely that even the best informed ref could give a definitive answer.

Echoing the above, comes up often as does the "what happens if game X is abandoned?" - not my decision pal, i just report the facts.

Agreed - @Bonref34 : you also don't know if he has a previous sending off this season, as that will up the period of suspension.
Which would make no difference whatsoever to the question that's been asked, as the suspension won't start until Saturday.

Back