A&H

Martin Atkinson

The Referee Store
Surely there's an assistant on that side of the pitch? I know it's not a high priority but shocking it's been missed at that level

Needs some common sense with this as the current interpretation is bad for the game. Football doesn’t expect and all that!

It's such a inexcusable error. It really doesn't make sense

No, its not even one of these, am experienced so I will manage it ones. I am not up to speed on the game, so, its not like it was a 2nd yellow in waiting? ( Just in case the ref opted rightly or wrongly to try manage something?)

it certainly makes it awkward for grass roots to do as required, when, one of the most respected and indeed, decent referees cant deal with the basics.

Just putting this out there. Is is remotely possible that SG1 refs have been told not to caution for this after last week's publicity? I know that's ridiculous, but unbelievable actions call for unthinkable explanations

Just putting this out there. Is is remotely possible that SG1 refs have been told not to caution for this after last week's publicity? I know that's ridiculous, but unbelievable actions call for unthinkable explanations

Surely the opposite? If you caution at Leicester, they'll surely want to clamp down on it and caution all of them lest it make Lee Probert look worse than he alreay does?

That is what the problems is with the game these days. The disconnect between the law makers and the top leagues in the world. Law makers are interested in protecting the game, leagues are interested in protecting their 'commetcial' league. A lot of overlap but not one and the same. And the referees are caught in the middle.

Except out top officials are employed by an independent body - they have a monopoly so really the league should have no bearing on the application of laws in its games

Not as simple as that.
The independent body's existence is dependent on the league using their services. If the league decides to take over the appointment of the referees and use their own referees the independent body is desolved. There would be some short term issues for the league (like finding enough capable referees) but at the end of the day they are the ones with ultimate authority.

Who appoint the referees to FIFA World cup? Its a matter of not biting the hand that feeds you.

Not as simple as that.
The independent body's existence is dependent on the league using their services. If the league decides to take over the appointment of the referees and use their own referees the independent body is desolved. There would be some short term issues for the league (like finding enough capable referees) but at the end of the day they are the ones with ultimate authority.

Who appoint the referees to FIFA World cup? Its a matter of not biting the hand that feeds you.
Its more complex than that as you have to factor the FA into the equation... who would most likely block any move from the premier league trying to takeover referees appointments. It is a pretty secure monopoly imo.
Fifa appoints its referees based on those nominated from FA's. Fifa are different to PL for example as they have authority from ifab to issue clarifications and interpretations.

Back