A&H

markings

pip

Level 7 Referee
Had a game on Sunday on a very well looked after pitch. checked nets looked at lines nice fresh marked white lines. Started game and in the 80th minute i gave a free kick which was on the center of the penalty arc. so in my head did not need to walk it out its 10 yards, the player who was over the ball said that is not ten yards ref. the wall was on the penalty spot. I told him it was 10 yards but i walked it out and it was 7 yards. such a good pitch i did not think the measurements could be wrong, I took the wall back three more yards, But i started thinking if there is a pen were will all the player stand three yards behind the box line.

The Referee Store
Hi pip, welcome to the forum.

Odd situation. Guess it is one of those things - I have often had pitches where the lines are off, not straight etc. just have to suck it up and get on with it. My personal favourite is a team with a goal post on one end of the pitch that is about 6 inches shorter in one corner than it should be. I asked a senior colleague and he laughed that it's the same for both teams, say nothing and get on with it.

:)

I always walk out the ten yards for this reason - and because that's what everyone expects so it helps to manage the situation.

I did do a game years ago when half the pitch markings were completely absent - I think they'd marked the outsides but none of the internal lines! The guy who went out to do it before the kick-off must have been drunk or hungover as they weaved all over the place. I just said that I was working to the markings on the pitch regardless. These days I might well consider whether to play at all...

A free kick that close I always march out the ten yards. I'm all for players taking quick kicks, but would rather avoid the attacking team getting a goal from it and the controversy that would cause! So marching out the yards least buys me an excuse for them not taking it quickly. That said as I'm stood by the ball if the player hit it I'd have to let play continue.

Had a game on Sunday on a very well looked after pitch. checked nets looked at lines nice fresh marked white lines. Started game and in the 80th minute i gave a free kick which was on the center of the penalty arc. so in my head did not need to walk it out its 10 yards, the player who was over the ball said that is not ten yards ref. the wall was on the penalty spot. I told him it was 10 yards but i walked it out and it was 7 yards. such a good pitch i did not think the measurements could be wrong, I took the wall back three more yards, But i started thinking if there is a pen were will all the player stand three yards behind the box line.
welcome pip so it was only 7 yards you have a perfect 1 yard step good on you no seriously nothing wrong with walking the distance ;)

Realised that we're making assumptions here, Pip

If game was women's, veterans or u16's, pitch size may be modified (and presumably field markings, tho no mention of these is made in the notes on modifications permissable by the lotg - only the fact that further modifications are only allowed with the consent of IFAB).

Still doesn't answer your question re where players should stand for a penalty. By the lotg they should be 10 yards away from the penalty mark, tho no doubt most referees would somehow manage that down to 7 ;)

Some more fundamental questions spring to my mind. If the penalty mark is 12 yards and the penalty area is 18 yards from the goal line, with your measurements the arc would be 1 yard in radius, in other words bleeding obviously wrong (think corner quadrant). If it wasn't so visually incorrect, my elementary maths would say either the penalty mark, the penalty area or, both were also incorrectly marked out.

tho perhaps the penalty area was only 15 yards i/o 18 :rolleyes:

or, more likely, perhaps, the penalty mark was in the wrong place

Back