A&H

Mark Clattenburg, Chelsea vs. Liverpool

JayMarple21

Usually such a reliable referee, I thought Mr Clattenburg was extremely inconsistent today in terms of yellows and missed a clear violent conduct offence in front of his own eyes.
Lucas should have seen second yellow for a typically-cynical trip, Costa should have seen red for a kick-out right in front of Clattenburg.
Does everyone agree?

The Referee Store
I thought he did ok, Chelsea vs Liverpool games are hard to referee, special with Jose under big pressure he done well to keep it 11v11

Obviously as a Chelsea fan, I am not a happy bunny at the moment. Played well for the first 3 minutes, then were completely outplayed once Ramires had scored. Second to every 50-50, looked like they just gave up! :-(

As for Mark Clattenburg, some would say have "managed" the game. I suppose Clattenburg was consistent in his own decision making as he also didn't send off Demichelis for a nailed on 2nd yellow in the Tottenham vs City match. Whilst there's no excuse for it, I guess the Chelsea players sense of "injustice" was fuelled by Matic's red card for 2 yellows against West Ham last week.

As for Costa, the bloke is an idiot! Could start an argument in an empty room. Not the worst of his "incidents", but could still easily be interpreted as violent conduct. Although Chelsea will probably argue that it was no worse than Gabriel's petulant kick out, which was overturned on appeal.

Lucas could have gone, so could Costa, but in the end the game was well managed.

How about that interview at the end from Jose? We are watching a man progressively losing his marbles

Unless there is a dramatic change in performances and results, one way or another he will be gone by Christmas.

Love him or hate him, the guy is a character. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious, sometimes crosses the line of what is and what isn't acceptable. Something clearly isn't right behind the scenes and Mourinho appears to be struggling mentally.

Whilst no one ever expected the reigning champions to struggle so badly the following season, possibly as a result of a commercial decision to go on an end of season tour, late & poor pre-season preparation and very sluggish start to the season where the players haven't looked mentally or physically fit, however some one the media coverage especially from BBC & Sky has been/is beyond ridiculous. Endless recycled stories based on mainly speculation, every interview involves questions about his future etc etc etc. No one wants to hear a manager slating the referee during post match interviews, some managers are better than others at giving post match interviews. Jose is probably thinking after nearly £200k in FA fines over 2 spells in England, he's probably still trying to work out what is and isn't acceptable. The FA do at times appear very inconsistent as to what they consider crossing the line!

As a fan I would love to see him turn things around, the players also need to take collective responsibility for their abysmal performances, but at the moment it's hard to see where the next decent performance and more importantly win is coming from! :confused:

The big decision for me was Cahill on Lallana in the box in the first half. The commentators didn't even mention it. Lallana has stretched well to get a shot in. Cahill comes over the top and totally nails Lallana's follow through. It is high, stamp-like, anywhere else on the pitch it is DFK, probably yellow, possible red.

Where in the laws does it state that you can you can foul a player if you are in the act of trying to block a shot?

If anything that puts it closer to DOGSO if in the process of the offence the player stops the opponent from shooting properly.

I know this fouling while blocking, especially at crosses, gets let go a lot. But wouldn't tightening up on this lead to more goals - as well as more consistency from officials?

I think judging Clatts body language..... he...... DID..... see Costa s kick and because Squirtle didn't react ..... he gave Costa benefit of any doubt in his mind .

It is also my opinion that he didn't send Lucas off for a... stick on ....second yellow because he knew that Costa should have walked and was trying to rectify a mistake with another !

Clattenburg for me is the best Ref in the league along with Atkinson but this is a lesson to us all..... deal with all situations separately ...it is not our job to keep it 11 v 11 that's down to the players

Something that I did think of last night regarding the Lucas incident... Him and Emre Can both came in from each side, is it ooossible that Clatts couldn't tell which one of them had taken the man and as both had been cautioned (I think) didn't want to send the wrong man off?

Just a thought based on what I remember seeing on MOTD.

Something that I did think of last night regarding the Lucas incident... Him and Emre Can both came in from each side, is it ooossible that Clatts couldn't tell which one of them had taken the man and as both had been cautioned (I think) didn't want to send the wrong man off?

Just a thought based on what I remember seeing on MOTD.
For me it very like the Second Yellow Coqelan ?? should have got in the first half for Arsenal away at Palace the ref for some reason only had a word ? Maybe some kind of FA directive this season to try to keep players on the pitch ??

Pretty sure the only reason Clatts didn't give Lucas a yellow for that challenge was 'cos he'd already had one. That's a shame. And I think MC knew he'd bottled it too; look at the footage and see how he can't look the Chelsea players in the eye. We all know that feeling, I'm sure...

Last edited:
Just seen it.
Lucas, the first one was a bit harsh I thought, but the second one was nailed on, Clattenburg bottled it having already cautioned him, but hey there is not a referee in the world who has not done that.
Costa, I hope that he, or his assistants did not see the kick, or that was a clear S2.

Can somebody please show me where it says a player on a yellow card MUST be cautioned and sent off for the next foul? Thought not.

Lucas situation handled properly IMO. "You've run out of chances now - next time you know what I have to do". This is a superb card to be able to play. Another misdemeanor and see ya! nobody really argues. Alternately the player is then as quiet as the proverbial church mouse and your buddy in some cases.

On the subject of Mourinho, you know how I love a left field approach - well here's another one with earnest honesty. The pressure is clearly on, and while his reactions make great copy for the press machine, what about the man? Depression in football is still taboo, with the only publicly acknowledged cases the tragedy of Gary Speed, and more recently Martin Ling. SM's comment re marbles, may be closer than first thought. To me he's showing the signs of someone struggling with an immense burden, and possibly going down the depressed path. Being constantly sniped at like yesterday's CL interview can only exacerbate it. For his sake, I hope not, but if it proves the case I called it.

I think depression is searching a step too far - being someone that has been closely effected by depression, Mourinho definitely isn't ... what he is suffering with is a massive case of 'bruised-ego-disease' - for years he has clambered on about 'special one' this and 'I'm the greatest' that but hasn't ever battled a bad patch, Real Madrid came close and he just upped and left? all the great, Fergie, Wenger etc etc have all had (some still have lol) bad patches, and that's what makes the greats - you're not marked on your success, you are marked on your ability to overturn you demise!

so no, no depression for me from Jose, he just cant now deal with being the 'normal one' (sorry Jurgen) - I personally love it!

*Stamford Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down ...*

Mourinho deserves no sympathy. His constant assertion that any referee that gives a decision against Chelsea is a 'cheat' or 'weak' dissolved any respect I had for him years ago.

Lucas situation handled properly IMO. "You've run out of chances now - next time you know what I have to do". This is a superb card to be able to play. Another misdemeanor and see ya! nobody really argues. Alternately the player is then as quiet as the proverbial church mouse and your buddy in some cases.
When a player is running past the opposition s holding midfielder heading towards the back 4 .... and he is taken out....!!

I would be giving a yellow card even in low level pub football Lucas was very lucky to stay on the pitch

The big decision for me was Cahill on Lallana in the box in the first half. The commentators didn't even mention it. Lallana has stretched well to get a shot in. Cahill comes over the top and totally nails Lallana's follow through. It is high, stamp-like, anywhere else on the pitch it is DFK, probably yellow, possible red.

The one at about 4 minutes in the video here?

I just watched a nice example of that sort of thing in the Class of '92 vs Salford City friendly. Have a look at 6.22.

Shot already gone but its a penalty and a yellow card all day because its late

Should be shouldn't it? But I bet there wasn't a soul in the ground thought that at the time.

He gets his shot off. The foul doesn't interfere with that. They get on with it.

One of those 'unwritten rules'. ;-)

Back