A&H

Mandatory YC for taking FK/PK before the whistle?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Well, I can't find either of these in the laws.
I can't any specifics in the laws that state a player must be cautioned if they take a PK or (ceremonial) FK before the whistle. The nearest thing seems to be "excessively delaying the restart"... am I missing something here?

Reactions: J79
The Referee Store
The closest you can get is that you tell the player taking the kick not to play the ball until your signal. You do not give your signal until you have set the wall. If s/he kicks it before you give your signal, the ball will have to be retrieved, you will have to overrule the outcome of the kick, you will have player protests and then you will have to begin again. That's more than enough to say they delayed the restart and earned a caution.

The closest you can get is that you tell the player taking the kick not to play the ball until your signal. You do not give your signal until you have set the wall. If s/he kicks it before you give your signal, the ball will have to be retrieved, you will have to overrule the outcome of the kick, you will have player protests and then you will have to begin again. That's more than enough to say they delayed the restart and earned a caution.
Is it mandatory YC?
I ask partly because I had a quiz question with the answer that it is just a straight retake and no YC for taking a PK before the whistle.

I don't think it is? Jamie carragher took pen early in pen shootout in whatever tournament and was straight retake so don't see why it would be

Hi
It is not a mandatory caution yet circumstances can merit a caution. If a player has clearly ignored the referee's "instruction" then he has either wilfully delayed the restart or dissented the decision which are cautions. If however the instructions were not clear or a player was not there for the instruction then a word can be suffice.
On the PK it is a retake for me with no caution yet refs should look closely at their mechanics to try to ensure it does not happen. I whistle as soon as the conditions are met or if not met then the kicker is clearly instructed to stop and wait. Again clear ignoring of an instruction can be a show of dissent or DTROP.

Penalty Kicks have their own set of laws. Free kicks? No, it isn't a mandatory.

I just wish they'd change these laws so they were fair - take if before the whistle and don't get a favourable outcome? Kick is done. Let's stop giving them a 2nd shot.

And that's the problem. It's not just delaying the restart - it can be putting off the opponents, or gives them a chance to learn from the first kick that missed.

But it's not mandatory, not at all. A caution would probably be harsh in the first instance.

Make it very, very clear. Stand in front of the kicker, hold your whistle up, tell him to wait for the whistle and point to it.

I agree with most of the others here - mandatory? Probably not. Often a good idea to exert your authority over a player who's taking the piss/wasting time? Yup.

I don't think it is? Jamie carragher took pen early in pen shootout in whatever tournament and was straight retake so don't see why it would be
Can't caution for delaying the restart of play during a penalty shootout - play finished at the end of 120/90 minutes!

Can't caution for delaying the restart of play during a penalty shootout - play finished at the end of 120/90 minutes!
Really? That can't be right surely. What if a player takes a ridiculous amount of time to walk to penalty mark from half way line trying to gain a psychological advantage? (Genuine question)

Even if you accept that delaying the restart is not applicable here, I guess you could always caution the player for unsporting behaviour under the 'catch-all' category of "shows a lack of respect for the game" if you felt it was necessary.

Alternatively, it might be an idea to warn the player first and if they ignore the warning, you could treat it as dissent.

Carragher retired in 2013 so this will not have been governed by the current laws. If it was for a tournament in which he was involved, then it is possible that the laws were relaxed to make it more entertaining for the spectators.
Saw a QPR player sent off for 2nd yellow card for doing this - Mr Andy Hall was the referee.
What year? See comment above.
Really? That can't be right surely. What if a player takes a ridiculous amount of time to walk to penalty mark from half way line trying to gain a psychological advantage? (Genuine question)
You need to ask how can a player delay the restart of a game that has already ended except for deciding the outcome? Delaying the restart is the wilful wasting of time within normal or added time. Clock has stopped when KFTPM are being taken

I think answer is further above, it would pretty much be delaying restart but you would class it as unsporting behaviour. (In my stubborn eyes anyway)

I think answer is further above, it would pretty much be delaying restart but you would class it as unsporting behaviour. (In my stubborn eyes anyway)
But they'd have to take a ridiculous scenic route to the kick for you to consider it.

Back