A&H

Mandatory Cautions as per the lotg - a list

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
I wrote them down on a piece of a4 once and usually scan through the list ahead of most games. This is my gift to you.

Player making unauthorised markings on the f.o.p. with his foot

Player re-entering f.o.p. without the referee's permission

Substitute entering the f.o.p. without permission

For refusing to remove unauthorised clothing / jewellery when asked - or to be found wearing it again

Player refusing to leave pitch after referee has authorised doctor to come on

Player deliberately leaving f.o.p. (offside) for tactical reasons

Attacking player inside goal distracting an opponent as a goal is scored - goal disallowed /drop ball

Reckless challenge (playing in a reckless manner)

Holding (after warning) to prevent moving past or around)

Holding to prevent opponent gaining possession of ball / taking up advantageous position

Handling the ball deliberately to prevent opponent gaining possession

Attempting to score by deliberately handling the ball

Playing in adangerous manner with obvious risk of injury

Deliberate foul for tactical reasons

Attempting to deceive referee by feigning injury

Changing places with keeper during play / without permission

Acts in a manner which shows lack of respect for the game

Playing ball when leaving f.o.p. after being granted permission

Verbally distracting an opponent during play / at restart

Using deliberate trick to pass ball back to keeper to circumvent law (ditto free kick)

Celebration of goal - provocative, derisory or inflammatory gesture - climbs on perimeter fence, removes shirt / covers head with shirt, uses mask or similar

Dissent (verbal or non-verbal protest) against referee's decision

Delaying restart of play - free kicks from wrong position forcing referee to order a retake, appearing to take throw-in, suddenly leaving it to team-mate, kicking or carrying ball away after referee has stopped play, excessively delaying throw-in or free kick, delaying leaving f.o.p. whilst being substituted, provoking confrontation by deliberately touching ball after referee has stopped play

Persistent infringement

Throwing an object in a reckless manner

Feinting to take a free-kick in an unsporting way

Preventing an opponent from taking a free-kick quickly when near the ball - delaying restart

Feinting to kick the ball after the run-up to a penalty

Within 2 metres of a throw-in (after warning)

Within 10 yards of corner arc (after warning)

The Referee Store
I wrote them down on a piece of a4 once and usually scan through the list ahead of most games. This is my gift to you.

Celebration of goal - uses mask or similar

Please footballing gods allow me to make this booking just once in my life!

Be wary of that list. On many occasions a quiet word is more advisable. For example, most teams will have some-one standing close to the ball when a free kick is awarded against. And if this is in the first minute, and you caution the player, then you will have made a rod for your own back. Why not tell the player to retreat, and if he does not take heed then he can have no complaints if he is cautioned. Good communication can often prevent what may appear a soft caution, particularly if it is early in the game.

I had someone try and punch the ball into the goal Saturday. From about 10 yards out - One hell of a punch!

When I blew the whistle he knew what was coming and laughed and said fair cop.

just for you, dave

apart from anything else, great goal and great example of offside but not interfering

p.s. ignore the youtube title, he got booked for wearing the mark, of course, not sent off

Be wary of that list. On many occasions a quiet word is more advisable. For example, most teams will have some-one standing close to the ball when a free kick is awarded against. And if this is in the first minute, and you caution the player, then you will have made a rod for your own back. Why not tell the player to retreat, and if he does not take heed then he can have no complaints if he is cautioned. Good communication can often prevent what may appear a soft caution, particularly if it is early in the game.

surely it's not the list that people need to be wary of, Frank. i take your point but they are the lotg, they are mandatory and the conundrum remains, how far will each individual referee go in not applying the lotg correctly - inconsistency is inevitably the end result

if you go with zero tolerance and apply say, your example of player standing close to the ball at free-kicks, if every referee applied the lotg and made it a mandatory caution, players would eventually, in fact quite quickly, i would imagine, stop doing it

weak, egocentric refereeing is a big part of football's problem, imho

Or strong, common sense orientated refereeing. Depending on which way you look at it...

But if one week a team has a strong, common sense orientated ref and then they get a stickler for the rules the next, this is when problems arrive. If we all followed the LOTG to the letter then at least these inconsistencies would disappear.

@haywain I understand the logic, but openly admit I dont always get it bob on. Not for the want of trying though. But I guess if I was getting it right every week, bang on the letter of the law I wouldnt be doing Sunday league and youth football and I'd be at world cups!

All that said, I dont understand why people referee feel they can go out and manage a game outside of, or manage their way around the LOTG. They are there for a reason.

All that said, I dont understand why people referee feel they can go out and manage a game outside of, or manage their way around the LOTG. They are there for a reason.

same reason that dog's lick their b.....

"Using deliberate trick to pass ball back to keeper to circumvent law"

Can someone elaborate on this? It later says in the LotG that you're perfectly permitted to pass it back to the keeper with your head or knee or whatever: does this mean for example doing a few keepy-ups then kneeing it back?

Smair, google 'youtube steven taylor backpass' and you have a perfect example

The Laws of the Game are written by sensible people. Why do some referees have the gall to believe that they are more sensible than the venerable gentlemen of IFAB? Where our "common sense refereeing" can come into effect is in how we interpret the events on the pitch: was it really dissent or was he just having a momentary outburst; was it really a player making an unauthorized mark on the FOP, or was it an accidental result of trying to flatten grass to take a free kick? For most of these, there is still wiggle room within the laws. What I won't accept is going outside the laws (e.g.: "yeah it was an excessive celebration but I didn't think I needed to caution him" well, yes, you did because it was an excessive celebration and that requires a caution).

Besides that, I can't find too many on the list that aren't reasonable and that I wouldn't automatically book someone for on the day. Which ones are supposedly contentious?

The good communication is the tool. The action is actually being pre-emptive to prevent a caution where possible. It is noted as one of the advanced competencies for Supply League Referees (Stoppages & Technical Offences section)

Back