A&H

Manchester Utd v Newcastle Utd

Reffariiii

RefChat Addict
Penalty?

Personnaly, I belive it was an incorrect decision but can understand why Mike Jones gave it.

I think the AR had a more credible angle of the incident, and thats why MJ went with him.

The Referee Store
Yeah I agree it was the wrong decision to award the penno and you have to wonder how the AR came to the conclusion of a foul!

Also that must be the 3rd/4th time this season that an AR has flagged for a penalty, new FA guidelines? or an inflated sense of importance!! but seriously something seems different!

Looking at this in real time, i thought it was obvious that Rio clearly got the ball, so can understand the upset. What was interesting was that MJ was clearly indicating for a corner, before noticing his assistants flag. I understand that to keep credibility then he has to go with his assistants flag, having been in that position myself i feel his pain :D

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the referees dressing room after the game though

Looking at this in real time, i thought it was obvious that Rio clearly got the ball, so can understand the upset. What was interesting was that MJ was clearly indicating for a corner, before noticing his assistants flag. I understand that to keep credibility then he has to go with his assistants flag, having been in that position myself i feel his pain :D

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the referees dressing room after the game though

Why do you have to go with the AR's flag? You're the referee and he is there to assist you. He should have been talking on the headset first and saying "Penalty, penalty" to which the referee could have easily said "No, I don't think so." In that case all would have been fine. It's important to note that in our own matches (without headsets), it is not impossible to have the same effect by giving on another eye contact. Before making any signal, the referee and the active AR should give one another eye contact and then make the decision based on whoever is supposed to take the decision (so, for example, a ball out of play on the goal line, you have your AR make the decision; a foul inside the PA, you have the referee make the decision). All of this should have been dealt with in the pre-game chat.

I'm just going by what an assessor told me. Same situation for me, id given a corner, assistant is flagging for a PK, i stuck to my guns and went with the corner, after a consultation with my assistant. Assessor tore me to shreds. I do agree with you Ryan.

Back