A&H

Manchester United v Chelsea

Interesting one in the Manchester United v Chelsea game this afternoon. Ashley Cole was cautioned for a challenge on Hernandez in the penalty area, after the shot was missed. Interestingly no penalty was given.

I can only presume the challenge happened after the ball was out of play. Can anybody clarify this one?

The Referee Store
If you look closely when dowd has his chat with lampard over the situation you can lipread him saying "as the ball was already out of play..." Its amazing what you can read from a far after becoming a referee lol

But how can you give then pen if the ball had already gone out of play? Its incorrect in law and i god knows how they would explain that to assessors lol I personally think dowd got the decision bang on! but hey ho its all just opinions lol

My take on this one (and being a new ref I realise my opinion doesnt count for much) I cant work out how its only a yellow if the ball is out of play. What i mean is to be sure the ball was out of play for a tackle lunging in like Cole did he must be pretty darn late (and very high) making that tackle, which in my opinion would have been a red. However to give the yellow as the ball is out of play then for me the ball could only just have gone out of play, which I'm not sure it would have therefore I would have gone yellow and penalty. But hey thats just my thought. In all honesty I think Dowd is pretty darn brave giving the yellow and no pen in my opinion.

oo i see what you mean. I too agree that the tackle (if you can call it that) could very easily have been deserving a red. However i don't believe were saying that a yellow was given because the ball is out of play. Instead i think we're saying that it wasn't a penalty because the ball was out of play. I think it was given yellow as thats what Dowd or his assistant believed it deserved. Imagine the ball going out of play and then a player turns and smacks his opponent. As the ball is out of play you wouldn't give a penalty or free kick but you would certainty still bin them :)

Dave dont feel your opinion counts for nothing because it does. Im sure you know the laws of the game fresher in your memory than the rest of us lol. Keep posting !

Thanks Andy.

I think this incident is a tricky one whatever way its called. I dont think I got my point across quite how I mean. I think if its a yellow he is indicating the tackle is reckless (which I agree it was) but in my opinion for a tackle like that to only be reckless it indicates the ball was kinda there to be won. I know Hernadez shot was a real belter, but I think if the ball has gone out of play and either the lineo or ref can call that, then really Cole (again in my opinion) is coming in too late to win the ball and with the tackle being as high as it was for me would be a red card taking into account the force used and the fact the ball was out of play. I'm not sure if that really makes any more sense, I think I'm struggling to explain it well. The short of it is it was a nasty tackle and for me a yellow and pen, if the ball has gone out of play I'd be giving the red card.

Back