A&H

Man Utd V Man City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t agree with your last paragraph. Rashford was running with the ball and that is different to standing in an offside position.

The Referee Store
I can’t agree with your last paragraph. Rashford was running with the ball and that is different to standing in an offside position.
Read the paragraph before it, they are linked..

The fact that rashford is running in close proximity to the ball is irrelevant, as no city player is close enough to play it and therefore their ability to do so is not impacted

He isn’t running in close proximity with the ball, he is running with the ball. There is no way that his actions aren’t affecting the defenders ability to attack the ball.
He is also affecting the keepers position which is similar to an offside player affecting a keepers line of sight.
Regardless of the technicality which I believe the red could have rules offside (and others disagree), it would be interesting to run another pol and see if everyone agrees that is “should” be offside and the law made clearer.

English is the definitive version

I'm no language expert, but I know that often translating languages literally is almost impossible, as the way the languages are spoken, sentence construction etc. Changes completely. Your chat de l'abitre is a good example of this in that the two words are switched around... I know the literal translation would be actually be "refchat" but but let's say we want to do referee chat, the translation literally word for word is chat referee, which is just not how we order words and is essentially back to front. So let's not pretend we can find a hidden meaning in another language.

If we do that, then we are creating more offside offences that we know the law specifically doesn't want.

Prime example, player in offside position, ball played towards them, defender intercepts the ball. Had the player not been there the defender could have left the ball.

In that example, the defender is influenced to intercept the ball by the offside player yet we know this is not an offside offence. (Diagram 8)

Influence Vs impact I agree there is some similarity in 1 of the definitions... Such is the complexity of the English language we have several for impact.
But you still over look the fact we're not looking at the one word and it's definition, were looking at what the whole sentence means and you lose sight of "ability to play the ball".

To be able (ability) to play the ball then one needs to be in a position to do so (playing distance). At no point is a city player able to play the ball, so there ability to do so can't have been impacted.

The city defender is not impeded by rashford, he slows and gives up the chase. He will have heard Fernandes calling for rashford to leave it, and the actions of rashford are the natural actions of someone putting the brakes on a sprint, there's no Feinting, just a player running at probably 30+km/h attempting to stop before touching the ball or interfering with his team mate
Just because it's the definitive version doesn't mean it's perspicuous.

I wouldn't want to go into detail on your last paragraph - way too much assumption - but are you really happy with a player in an offside position running with the ball at his feet knowing he's offside and just shielding the ball until a team-mate shouting "leave it" gets there? "Spirit of the law", "What football expects" and all that?

And of course the literal translation of "le chat de l'arbitre" is "the referee's cat"!

Does the idea of a player being entitled to his/her position on the pitch go somewhat out the window in an offside scenario? Like this is probably a huge *******isation of the law but could you argue Rashford is impeding without contact because he is in an offside position, therefore he is committing an offside offence. Or perhaps I'm saying that could be a helpful addition. It does feel like the defender behind him has a chance to slide or block the fernandes shot if Rashford isn't there, I'm sure if he went through the back of Rashford it would be offside, ironically...

Just because it's the definitive version doesn't mean it's perspicuous.

I wouldn't want to go into detail on your last paragraph - way too much assumption - but are you really happy with a player in an offside position running with the ball at his feet knowing he's offside and just shielding the ball until a team-mate shouting "leave it" gets there? "Spirit of the law", "What football expects" and all that?

And of course the literal translation of "le chat de l'arbitre" is "the referee's cat"!

Spirit of the game is only for where law does not cover a scenario.
It is not there for a referee to apply subjectivity where ever they feel like.

Its not assumption, it is describing what I see. You have also made a lot of assumptions in the thread about what might have happened.

Its no matter what the words mean, and I think you well know that wasn't my point. Whether it is discuter de l'arbitre or le chat de l'arbitre, when you translate that literally to English your speaking backwards.

"The cat of referee" say what now?

Its not about if I am happy with it or not. My interpretation of law says this is a good goal, so if you want the law changing, rally the troops and canvass IFAB, but be prepared for unintended outcomes.

[Cue someone to say the English is the definitive version, but this is not about what it says but what it means. It's still a challenge for all those who want to rely on the letter of the law "as it stands" in the English version.]
Err, that would be me. I'm sorry, but the fact that foreign language versions might suggest a different shade of meaning is totally and completely irrelevant - especially on an English language forum with an (almost exclusively) English language-speaking membership.

There's a reason why the IFAB says (in effect) that in case of any doubt or confusion over the meaning of the law, the English language version must be used. It's because obviously, versions in different languages that might lead to different interpretations can only serve to obfuscate, not illuminate matters.

I’m not saying I don’t see your interpretation, I do and I appreciate your analysis of it. I just interpret it slightly differently.

One of us is wrong and a legal expert might be able to convince a judge one way or another. ;)

I thought VAR would end these debates, but if anything it’s increased.

Agree that there will be unintended consequences to law changes….there always are.

On the decision though, even Man Utd manager said he would be upset at a goal like that against him.

Let’s see if they address this either with clarification or with additional regulation.

Spirit of the game is only for where law does not cover a scenario.
It is not there for a referee to apply subjectivity where ever they feel like.

Its not assumption, it is describing what I see. You have also made a lot of assumptions in the thread about what might have happened.

Its no matter what the words mean, and I think you well know that wasn't my point. Whether it is discuter de l'arbitre or le chat de l'arbitre, when you translate that literally to English your speaking backwards.

"The cat of referee" say what now?

Its not about if I am happy with it or not. My interpretation of law says this is a good goal, so if you want the law changing, rally the troops and canvass IFAB, but be prepared for unintended outcomes.
What it actually says is that decisions are made "according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’" (not as an alternative). And whether an opponent is "impacted / influenced / affected" is likely to be a subjective decision. But at least one opponent clearly was influenced (Ederson in going to close the angle on a player in an offside position) so the only question is whether any of Rashford's movements qualify as "attempting to play the ball" or "making an obvious action" that influenced the opponent.

As I understand the "onside" argument, a player in an offside position can run with the ball for 20 yards, attempting not to play the ball but simulating that he is going to play the ball, and other players are expected to deal with the "offside" opponent and also onside opponents (but are not thereby "impacted"). Does anyone really think IFAB envisaged this "scenario"?

And by the letter of the law, City should have had two penalties for players being shoved in the back.

As I understand the "onside" argument, a player in an offside position can run with the ball for 20 yards, attempting not to play the ball but simulating that he is going to play the ball, and other players are expected to deal with the "offside" opponent and also onside opponents (but are not thereby "impacted".

You said it better than I could. ;)

What it actually says is that decisions are made "according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’" (not as an alternative). And whether an opponent is "impacted / influenced / affected" is likely to be a subjective decision. But at least one opponent clearly was influenced (Ederson in going to close the angle on a player in an offside position) so the only question is whether any of Rashford's movements qualify as "attempting to play the ball" or "making an obvious action" that influenced the opponent.

As I understand the "onside" argument, a player in an offside position can run with the ball for 20 yards, attempting not to play the ball but simulating that he is going to play the ball, and other players are expected to deal with the "offside" opponent and also onside opponents (but are not thereby "impacted"). Does anyone really think IFAB envisaged this "scenario"?
Did Rashford physically stop a defender getting to the ball?

If yes - then it would have been an offside offence.
If no - then the defender simply chose not to successfully defend.

How was the defender 100% confident that Rashford was offside? Maybe his judgement of the line was wrong. Maybe his right back had pulled up with a hamstring injury 5 seconds earlier and was therefore playing him onside outside the CB's cone of vision. Fact is, any defender worth his salt should have been challenging for the ball regardless of a possible offside.

The fact that didn't happen shows us that the defender either failed to defend properly, or would have been unable to get to the ball regardless. Which immediately nullifies all the excessive hypotheticals about "maybe the defender would have done x" or "the GK would have done Y". Thy didn't, full stop.

And by the letter of the law, City should have had two penalties for players being shoved in the back.
Your big closing argument is two subjective decisions didn't go your way? You can't refute something that is objectively correct by pointing out two unrelated subjective incidents that didn't go your way.

By being on top of the ball for 20 yards I would argue he is physically stopping a defender getting the ball. I fail to see how he isn’t.

You are right though…..there is a HUGH chance that all the defenders would have just stood back and let the ball roll for 20 yards unchallenged and let it reach another striker.

By being on top of the ball for 20 yards I would argue he is physically stopping a defender getting the ball. I fail to see how he isn’t.

You are right though…..there is a HUGH chance that all the defenders would have just stood back and let the ball roll for 20 yards unchallenged and let it reach another striker.
But....he wasn't challenged.

I struggle to see why this is difficult to be honest. If an opponent had gone for the ball and Rashford had interfered with them :wide: , easy offside call. So all they had to do in order to defend well is....try and get the ball. Which is what they would have done if possible regardless of if he was there or not.

So for me, the only possible conclusion is that Fernandes would have got there ahead of the defence regardless. So all Rashford did was correctly decide he was probably in an offside position and therefore not play the ball and get out of the way in order to avoid becoming active.

I struggle to see why this is difficult to be honest. If an opponent had gone for the ball and Rashford had interfered with them :wide: , easy offside call. So all they had to do in order to defend well is....try and get the ball. Which is what they would have done if possible regardless of if he was there or not.

So for me, the only possible conclusion is that Fernandes would have got there ahead of the defence regardless. So all Rashford did was correctly decide he was probably in an offside position and therefore not play the ball and get out of the way in order to avoid becoming active.
The defence were prepping for a Rashford shot. They don’t want to risk a tackle and a free kick in a dangerous position.

I do see your argument, I just don’t agree with the conclusion.

How was the defender 100% confident that Rashford was offside? Maybe his judgement of the line was wrong. Maybe his right back had pulled up with a hamstring injury 5 seconds earlier and was therefore playing him onside outside the CB's cone of vision. Fact is, any defender worth his salt should have been challenging for the ball regardless of a possible offside.

The fact that didn't happen shows us that the defender either failed to defend properly, or would have been unable to get to the ball regardless. Which immediately nullifies all the excessive hypotheticals about "maybe the defender would have done x" or "the GK would have done Y". Thy didn't, full stop.

Your big closing argument is two subjective decisions didn't go your way? You can't refute something that is objectively correct by pointing out two unrelated subjective incidents that didn't go your way.
Where's "physically" in the laws?

It's not a fact to say "any defender worth his salt should have been challenging for the ball regardless of a possible offside". In fact it's daft. If he wasn't sure the opponent was in an offside position, he'd be risking DOGSO. True, with ten minutes left, I'd have supported any City defender taking out Rashford or Fernandes (and Walker could easily have carted Fernandes *).

* So that's another scenario - a player in an offside position and with an obvious goal scoring opportunity (except he'd be offside) leaves the ball for an onside team-mate who has been impeding the progress of a defender who could have challenged the "offside" player. The defender barges over the player who's in his way.

This one could run and run.

But they don't even need to actually risk a tackle. You talk about him "shielding" the ball - but if he actually blocked off an opponent while doing that, it would trigger the interfering clause.

I guess what I don't understand is how the perception can be that players were in a position where Rashford managed to stop the defence getting to the ball, but that he did so without touching the ball or the defenders in question. The reality is, the defence were beaten to the ball by Fernandes and that's basically the end of it.

I don't know where this "influence" vs "impact" debate has come from but a quick dictionary search tells me that influence and impact have the same meaning. Therefore, those who say Rashford "influenced" an opponent's ability to play the ball but did not "impact" an opponent's ability to play the ball have dug themselves into a bit of a hole.
Influencing a decision is very different from impacting ability to play the ball.

Ederson DECIDED not to come out. Nobody physically prevented him from doing so.

Er ... despite the stills, it's obvious that, when the pass was made, Ederson was less than 10 yards from where Fernandes eventually struck the ball, and could have run out and cleared the ball well before Fernandes got there from 25 yards away - but for the player in an offside position. Regardless of whether Rashford should be given offside because of what he did, if he wasn't there at all the ball would never have reached Fernandes (Match of the Day 2 actually simulated this).

Er ... despite the stills, it's obvious that, when the pass was made, Ederson was less than 10 yards from where Fernandes eventually struck the ball, and could have run out and cleared the ball well before Fernandes got there from 25 yards away - but for the player in an offside position. Regardless of whether Rashford should be given offside because of what he did, if he wasn't there at all the ball would never have reached Fernandes (Match of the Day 2 actually simulated this).
I refer you back to my first post in the thread. If we're giving decisions based on what players should or might have done, may as well just accept that City have the best players, they should win the league and so it's pointless playing the game at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back