A&H

man management

HarryD

Been analysing my season so far and it turns out Im utterly hopeless with this. Can any of you give any tips for effective man management so I can improve my performances?

The Referee Store
There is no holy grail i'm afraid. A lot of it comes from that horrible thing called "life experience"

It's always situational - sometimes a quiet word can do the trick, other times you need to take a really firm line.

What sort of situations are you finding you're lacking in, coping with dissent? selling decisions?

I find that I give a few decisions, couple of mandatory yellows come out and the players become bloody nightmares which results in more and more lemons coming out leading to the inevitable red. Bloody footballers! :p

Pulling shirts which break up promising attacks, completely clattering people, spending 30 seconds telling me in no uncertain terms how my decision making is rubbish despite the fact hes gone into the back of the other player...

Without watching you in a game its really difficult to give advice. Maybe you should talk to your RDO and ask if someone can come down and watch you in a game, that way you can get some situational advice.

I don't want to sound patronising or condescending here, but age and life experience does come into it, body language, whistle tone, confidence, positioning when giving decisions etc all have a part to play.

I suppose in fairness the fact Im 17 means the players are going to take the piss a little bit. Oh well - have a mens followed by an under 12 game - same teams as my first ever match so should be an alright day!:D

Man management that you state, is not done with cards - that is disciplinary management.

Man management is how you interact with other persons.

from the start - do you confirm the game by email or phone, or just leave it till you turn up? - this sets out that you are one that interacts and talks, not sits there silent.

when you turn up - do you find the teams you need, speak to people and drop in comments (i see you've got blue sock - matching tape?) at which point you are showing that you know what is needed and that you can delegate to the team to manage it.

do you use a ladder approach to situations - not just big KMI decisions, but the small things:
pre game int eh cahning rooms / warm up - coach, can you check for jewley, earrings, bands etc off before i come over please, ta.
when you go over to speak to them and check their kit - have alook and - buddy, that ear ring needs to come out please.
if we are lining up for KO, Coach - I;ve asked you and your nr 10 to take his ear ring out. He is not plaing unless it comes out.
Say he is on the bench and about to come on as a sub, Sorry player - you're not coming on with it still in.

Stepped.

when out on the FOP if i see something ie a high foot even if no-one complains about it, when runing past them, Player, whatch that foot please. Shows that you have seen what happened and you have taken action accoridngly.

if someone has comments, first i'll stare them - makes them feel they have been caught., and it's his warning

Maybe a quick one to the captain - Nr 3's comments are not needed, and he's walking into a silly YC if he keeps going. Have a word before I do please.

This way you are giving the captain the option to sort him out - let the cap do your dirty work.

Keeps going - you get the car out - Plyer yes please. I've warned you, your cap has spoken to you, but youve kept going. Thank you. YC and head off.

flashing cards does not manage the situation, it is reactive to what has happened, not pro active to changing where it is going. If anythign it infuriates the situation as you;ve not just shown them a YC, you've nicked £10 from them, and if they're not with you to start with, they certainly wont do you any favours now.

Man management that you state, is not done with cards - that is disciplinary management.

from the start - do you confirm the game by email or phone, or just leave it till you turn up? - this sets out that you are one that interacts and talks, not sits there silent.

when you turn up - do you find the teams you need, speak to people and drop in comments (i see you've got blue sock - matching tape?) at which point you are showing that you know what is needed and that you can delegate to the team to manage it.

do you use a ladder approach to situations - not just big KMI decisions, but the small things:
pre game int eh cahning rooms / warm up - coach, can you check for jewley, earrings, bands etc off before i come over please, ta.
when you go over to speak to them and check their kit - have alook and - buddy, that ear ring needs to come out please.
if we are lining up for KO, Coach - I;ve asked you and your nr 10 to take his ear ring out. He is not plaing unless it comes out.
Say he is on the bench and about to come on as a sub, Sorry player - you're not coming on with it still in.

Stepped.

when out on the FOP if i see something ie a high foot even if no-one complains about it, when runing past them, Player, whatch that foot please. Shows that you have seen what happened and you have taken action accoridngly.

if someone has comments, first i'll stare them - makes them feel they have been caught., and it's his warning

Maybe a quick one to the captain - Nr 3's comments are not needed, and he's walking into a silly YC if he keeps going. Have a word before I do please.

This way you are giving the captain the option to sort him out - let the cap do your dirty work.

Keeps going - you get the car out - Plyer yes please. I've warned you, your cap has spoken to you, but youve kept going. Thank you. YC and head off.

flashing cards does not manage the situation, it is reactive to what has happened, not pro active to changing where it is going. If anythign it infuriates the situation as you;ve not just shown them a YC, you've nicked £10 from them, and if they're not with you to start with, they certainly wont do you any favours now.
Best thing Ive read all day. Definitely taking this with me to future games, cheers mate!

Reactions: HRW

Stepped.

That is one of the best post I've seen on this board I've ever seen

Reactions: HRW
Note to self, praising HRW on a seperate post guarantees a like

That wasn't my point, merely an observation ;)

Mind you, my point isn't much better....

I just noticed that if you like a post, you then have the option to unlike it....anyone care to admit to ever having done this?

Am I off-topic yet, monkey :)

Yes, very nice post that - puts some theory behind the practice.

I would emphasise talking, control of game pace and demeanor as my main methods of management.

If you're like me, when the heat picks up you tend to get quieter and retreat into your own headspace. I now make a conscious effort to talk right from the start - normally just quiet words in passing that are mainly constructive rather than warning in tone that I can turn into a 'stop the game and have a word' if needs be - stepping up from there either to captain or cards depending on the temperature of the game or severity of offences.

This leads on to not being afraid to slow the game down or speed it up but at your own pace - you are in control. Sometimes it's great to stop things, have a word and then get going after everything's simmered down a bit. You've taken notice of an event and everyone knows that - but you've managed it and they know that too. Other times you're better off running to your next position - eye's open to possibilities of course - and the complainers either have to chase you (dissent territory) or get into position quickly themselves. Their teammates will help you out here most of the time.

Finally demeanor means so much. I genuinely do most games with a smile on my face, unless we're doing the serious talk. If you look like you're enjoying it and not letting the flak get to you it will look like you're in control even if you don't feel it. It is genuinely amazing what a difference that outward positivity will have.

Above all, be yourself. Don't try and copy a referee you admire but note what they do and think about how you could make that work for your style. I only say this because it's tempting to confuse advice with trying to change yourself (rather than your approaches) but chances are you won't be able to keep that up and you will look insincere at best - above all, this won't help your confidence - and ultimately confidence is key!

Best of luck - I can promise you the more games you do the more the 'management' side will come more naturally and games will - for the most part - get easier!

And to add to Ryan's comment... Don't just look like you're enjoying yourself... be genuinely happy to be doing what you're doing. That can carry over to the players and coaching staff.

Unless you're having a right nightmare of a game. Then be cranky. :)

Back