A&H

Man City vs Leeds

SW20

Level 6 Referee
Anybody watching? Cooper has just had a yellow card cancelled via VAR review and a red given instead. Was the correct decision for me as the challenge was very high and clearly endangered the safety of an opponent.

One thing that continues to annoy me is that BT have Peter Walton on as their "Ref expert". He's utterly dreadful and constantly gets things wrong. He essentially said it was just a yellow in his view before Marriner went over to the monitor, which is baffling for a challenge that was essentially knee-high.

The Referee Store
Was happy with a yellow on the initial angle. The angle that VAR looked at was never going to ve anything other than a red

Mariner is a miles better Ref than that
Without VAR, the red card would've come out straight away. It's all too easy to show yellow and then go to the screen

Without VAR, the red card would've come out straight away. It's all too easy to show yellow and then go to the screen
Does feel like that sometimes, doesn't it? Like it's a bit of an easy cop out as you know you can just go over to the screen and review it if need be.

Was happy with a yellow on the initial angle. The angle that VAR looked at was never going to ve anything other than a red

I'm just not sure how Walton, who is sitting in a studio and will have every angle available to him, could say it was a yellow when the replay showed that Cooper's challenge was literally knee-high

Doesn't work like that. In going yellow initially he will be given an incorrect KMI even though VAR subsequently corrected it. From the angle he had it probably looked yellow, he didn't even seem sure when they showed the first VAR replays, but then they showed the angle that clearly showed the location and strength of the contact.

Doesn't work like that. In going yellow initially he will be given an incorrect KMI even though VAR subsequently corrected it. From the angle he had it probably looked yellow, he didn't even seem sure when they showed the first VAR replays, but then they showed the angle that clearly showed the location and strength of the contact.

I guess that's where VAR works well, in allowing the Ref to see an additional angle or two. Glad the right decision was reached anyway.

I doubt Mariner worries too much about the KMI. They're all doing it. Safe yellow, VAR then re-referees. The emphasis is on the team getting it right

I doubt Mariner worries too much about the KMI. They're all doing it. Safe yellow, VAR then re-referees. The emphasis is on the team getting it right

Will have to agree to disagree. VAR rescues the teams from incorrect decisions, it doesn't rescue the referee from a 7.9 mark, they give what they think what is the correct decision at the time.

Also, Andre Mariner is probably the referee worst affected by VAR. He is a lot more old school that most of the other referees, in that he lets a lot of physical contact go and seems to have a higher bat for SFP than the others. I honestly believe that had there not been VAR he would still have gone yellow there.

Right, blue specs on...

From the MotD replays, Sterling might have got a yellow for treading on Raphinha's ankle early on ("stamp" sounds worse), and Mr Marriner seemed a bit lax with what constitutes SPA. I also wish he'd get out of the way. So often City players were having to play round him.

But no penalty for the shirt pull on Stones? Was the winning goal checked for offside by VAR? It's from a TV still I assume, but this is Costa's position in the build-up:

Last edited:
What are we making of Fernandinho's challenge? Orange for me, but I think I'd like to see SFP red for that. Too hard of a tackle to easily go for yellow here

Right, blue specs on...

From the MotD replays, Sterling might have got a yellow for treading on Raphinha's ankle early on ("stamp" sounds worse), and Mr Marriner seemed a bit lax with what constitutes SPA. I also wish he'd get out of the way. So often City players were having to play round him.

But no penalty for the shirt pull on Stones? Was the winning goal checked for offside by VAR? It's from a TV still I assume, but this is Costa's position in the build-up:

Looks like everyone was caught up in the emotion of the winner that maybe they didn't want to check.

Looks like everyone was caught up in the emotion of the winner that maybe they didn't want to check.
I'm really not sure what to make of that comment... For the record, I'm sure PGMOL doesn't get emotional about City getting beaten. I always put it down to incompetence.

What are we making of Fernandinho's challenge? Orange for me, but I think I'd like to see SFP red for that. Too hard of a tackle to easily go for yellow here
As per the LOTG, I think yellow is right, but I'd like to see things like this be red cards. Obviously slight trips and shirt pulls should still be yellow (almost tactically part of the game), but a deliberately reckless foul, where there is no attempt to play the ball should be a red imo. A reckless challenge going for the ball should be a yellow, but it doesn't seem right than a reckless challenge with no attempt to play the ball is only a yellow

As per the LOTG, I think yellow is right, but I'd like to see things like this be red cards. Obviously slight trips and shirt pulls should still be yellow (almost tactically part of the game), but a deliberately reckless foul, where there is no attempt to play the ball should be a red imo. A reckless challenge going for the ball should be a yellow, but it doesn't seem right than a reckless challenge with no attempt to play the ball is only a yellow
Shame there is no middle card.
As you said, that challenge (I assume its the one right at the end of the game just inside City half) - he knew what he was doing. Yet the punishment is the same as, say, removing your shirt when excited about scoring a goal. Absolutely no comparison yet the exact same punishment.

Shame there is no middle card.
As you said, that challenge (I assume its the one right at the end of the game just inside City half) - he knew what he was doing. Yet the punishment is the same as, say, removing your shirt when excited about scoring a goal. Absolutely no comparison yet the exact same punishment.
Exactly

Totally agree, I mentioned earlier in the season the amount of VAR overturns from a yellow to a red card was quite high(probably too high in all honesty) which suggested for the SFP incidents, far too many are not being called correctly right away which can't be a good thing.

Also for a referee, it's probably be more demoralising showing a player you just sent off a yellow card because of your mistake. It does look like Marriner has a decent view of it also which makes it more disappointing.

Back