A&H

Man City v Tottenham - 4 penalties and a red card!

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
Anyone watching this game? Jon Moss has given 4 penalties and sent a player off for Dogso, not quite convinced it was a red, as it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity

Been a good game though

The Referee Store
I'm a spurs fan and can confirm it was most definitely not a good game.

Sadly I didn't get a chance to watch it and will check th highlights tonight.

Must have been a fantastic game for the neutrals! Not quite so enjoyable until we got 3-1 up though :D

Totally agree on the red card Ross, clear penalty but really not sure that was DOGSO. Thought our first penalty was very soft, as was the Spurs one (looked outside the box but difficult to tell at the game).

Sergio Aguero; What. A. Player.

I don't think Agueros first goal should have counted. Lloris's view was blocked by an offside player. City's first pen = very soft. He walked into Lamela's arm. Tottenham's pen was outside, DFK - not pen. However I can see why the pen was given. Unlike Soldado to miss a pen! As a spurs fan, I probably would have sent Fazio for DOGSO there. But that's just me! Gutted with the result but expected it tbh!

My problem with the RC for DOGSO is that when the striker has been pulled down, the cross hadn't been played in. It was only after the striker went down that the ball was played in. YC for me.

I'm a spurs fan and can confirm it was most definitely not a good game.

Sadly I didn't get a chance to watch it and will check th highlights tonight.
As an arsenal fan, it was a great game :D

Seen some very mixed opinions on the Fazio red. Yellow all day long for me

I thought Moss did well on the red card - he waited to see if the ball would be cleared to determine whether it was DOGSO - it wasn't, so a red card was the correct decision.

Agree with the red - He has been denied a chance to get into a scoring position. It's one of those rare offences where a DOGSO occurs without the player having possession of the ball.

I don't understand how you can say that it is an obvious goalscoring opportunity if the ball hasn't even been played yet. It was only after the player was taken down that the ball was played in. Had the ball not been played in would you still be giving a RC for DOGSO? Because by giving a RC for DOGSO in this situation, that is basically what you're saying.

True, it was interfering with his vision though thus interfering with an opponent - thats how Id try and sell it anyway! :p

I don't understand how you can say that it is an obvious goalscoring opportunity if the ball hasn't even been played yet. It was only after the player was taken down that the ball was played in. Had the ball not been played in would you still be giving a RC for DOGSO? Because by giving a RC for DOGSO in this situation, that is basically what you're saying.

No, you miss the point here. Now I'm not saying this in a "God how thick are you?" way so please don't interpret as such. However this digs into the real fundamentals.

What is the definition of an opportunity? Things like a possibility, a prospect, a good position. Any thesaurus will come up with synonyms like chance, shot, prospect etc.

Aguero was denied the opportunity to get into an obvious goal scoring position by unfair means. Had he not been pulled he would have got there. Now had the ball not been crossed then indeed, it's a penalty and maybe a caution.

Let's take another example of a DOGSO when the fouled player is not in possession of the ball. You (the reader) is the attacker, and I'm the centre half, and I've had the beating of you all day (It's my story so I can!). You've been trying to play on my shoulder as last defender but I keep timing my offside perfectly. We're in or around the 'D'. Your teammate sends another through-ball into the penalty area I step up to catch you offside but immediately realise you've done me. I turn and grab a massive handful of your shirt before you can reach the ball. You haven't touched the ball because I've stopped you, but I still know I'm off. (unless lightning strikes twice - I did this for real once and the striker punched me. He got a red, I got away with it!) I've denied you that obvious opportunity even though you did not have the ball because the likelihood was you would play the ball before me or my goalkeeper .

There were some interesting DOGSO videos on either the FIFA or UEFA sites, and at least one showed something similar.

As an arsenal fan, it was a great game :D

Seen some very mixed opinions on the Fazio red. Yellow all day long for me

Yellow for me too. Understand all the arguments in favour of a red I just feel that DOGSO needs to be TOTALLY clear cut to justify the double whammy of penalty plus red. And on this one there were too many variables even after it was clear the cross was put in.

As for your first point Ross, come back to us when you can beat Hull at home! .. was lovely to see Jake and Tom (bless their previously Lilywhite cotton socks) combining for the second Hull goal :)

It was DOGSO, but the Lampard penalty was a disagrace and the foul against Soldado was outside of the penalty area. Moss had a shocker and on his birthday too.

No, you miss the point here. Now I'm not saying this in a "God how thick are you?" way so please don't interpret as such. However this digs into the real fundamentals.

What is the definition of an opportunity? Things like a possibility, a prospect, a good position. Any thesaurus will come up with synonyms like chance, shot, prospect etc.

Aguero was denied the opportunity to get into an obvious goal scoring position by unfair means. Had he not been pulled he would have got there. Now had the ball not been crossed then indeed, it's a penalty and maybe a caution.

Let's take another example of a DOGSO when the fouled player is not in possession of the ball. You (the reader) is the attacker, and I'm the centre half, and I've had the beating of you all day (It's my story so I can!). You've been trying to play on my shoulder as last defender but I keep timing my offside perfectly. We're in or around the 'D'. Your teammate sends another through-ball into the penalty area I step up to catch you offside but immediately realise you've done me. I turn and grab a massive handful of your shirt before you can reach the ball. You haven't touched the ball because I've stopped you, but I still know I'm off. (unless lightning strikes twice - I did this for real once and the striker punched me. He got a red, I got away with it!) I've denied you that obvious opportunity even though you did not have the ball because the likelihood was you would play the ball before me or my goalkeeper .

There were some interesting DOGSO videos on either the FIFA or UEFA sites, and at least one showed something similar.

I still don't think it was an obvious goal scoring opportunity. The difference between your example and what actually happened is the fact that the ball was already played. Yes, if the ball had been crossed and then the striker brought down before the ball got anywhere near him, I can agree it's definitely DOGSO, but the fact that the striker was brought down before his team mate even looked like he was going to cross the ball makes me think it shouldn't have been DOGSO. I'm not saying that I disagree with the DOGSO decision because the player didn't have the ball, I disagree with it because his team mate had the ball and hadn't played it, it was only after he got brought down that the ball was played across.

Erm I think you might want to read page 112 of the good book, obstructing a goalkeepers view is offside as it's interfering with an opponent.

Ah, good point. Tough one to call from the touchline though - although those lucky enough to have comms systems are at an advantage!

Back