A&H

Man City v Man U

Reece

Level 6 Referee
I'm just glad about the score mostly

But then i think, should they actually won, because being honest with you I think that kompany should of never got sent off

I just wandered your views on this incident if you have seen it ?

The Referee Store
my view is that the ref was too quick to pull out the red card. to constitute use of excessive force or dangerous tackle, all three elements must present: speed, distance and aggression. there was no aggression nor malice intent. studs weren't directed and he won the ball cleanly. that would have been a perfect tackle if it was back in the 80's.

that would have been a perfect tackle if it was back in the 80's.

Regardless of wether the tackle was a RC or not people (pundits especially) have got to stop using that phrase times change, laws are modified.
Im pretty sure that that kind of comment would not stand up as defense in a court of law

I'm just glad about the score mostly

But then i think, should they actually won, because being honest with you I think that kompany should of never got sent off

I just wandered your views on this incident if you have seen it ?

I do not think it was worth a Red Card, this is usually given as a Yellow Card. I think the referee was influenced by Wayne Rooney shouting that it was a two footed tackle. Unfortunately this red card did change the game, as the game could have been closer if 11 v 11.

agree or disagree with Chris Foy decision, football refereeing is base upon interpretation and opinion.
CF is no rookie referee and would not have been influenced by WR shouting at him.

Was the tackle two footed?
Was excessive force used?
Did the tackle endanger the safety of opponent? Does the opponent have to take contact and be injured before a player is dismissed?

Between the tackle and the whistle there is a pause of 1/2/3 seconds which in my opinion CF was re-running his observation and deciding upon his action. The decision is not wrong.

I do not think it was worth a Red Card, this is usually given as a Yellow Card. I think the referee was influenced by Wayne Rooney shouting that it was a two footed tackle. Unfortunately this red card did change the game, as the game could have been closer if 11 v 11.
Agree that its not a RC but I seriously doubt that he was swayed by Rooner. I mean, he is a Prem ref.

agree or disagree with Chris Foy decision, football refereeing is base upon interpretation and opinion.
CF is no rookie referee and would not have been influenced by WR shouting at him.

Was the tackle two footed?
Was excessive force used?
Did the tackle endanger the safety of opponent? Does the opponent have to take contact and be injured before a player is dismissed?

Between the tackle and the whistle there is a pause of 1/2/3 seconds which in my opinion CF was re-running his observation and deciding upon his action. The decision is not wrong.

Absolutely spot-on, Rich. There's more to it than just looking at the tackle and making a gut decision which could lead many to say "no way that's a red!" When you take into consideration the various questions Rich has posted, you see that it's a red card tackle.

Orange for me - whatever CF came out with he'd be wrong in someone's eyes, so well done him for making a decision!

Football will be so boring when we have TV replays for everything; what on earth will we talk about!?!

We reguarly remind people that the British game is physical and arguably that's what makes it so watchable.
Each culture has a different approach and our climate in the UK supports tackling on the floor, get down, get dirty & hit him hard!!!
When I played my style of tackling was similar to Vincent Company, I deemed myself to be a ball winner and was a physical player. Chat in the club / pub now when we muse over the past they say I was a dirty.
My theory was it's early in the game and I'll make my mark, if I get the ball, I'll get the man and a slice of the opponent with a questionable tackle was worth a risk but nowadays not accepted.

Tough tacklers or thugish behaviour put these few into either category R. Keane, P. Vieira, V. Jones, Mascherano, Gerard, Vidic, Rooney, Gattuso, Rattin, Stiles, Mackay, Bremner, Hunter(bite yer legs), (chopper) Harris.

There's an even finer line between reckless and endangering an opponent's safety these days, and we're the mugs that have got to decide one way or the other. Somebody once told me that a level 5 ref might caution a player for a "too strong" tackle, but a level 4 ref would have to go bigger and send them off. The frequently used adage no surprises can be used in these situations, so Kompany's sending off was a surprise, but Johnson's play on was not a surprise.

As regards Roy Keane, I'd have sent him off in the tunnel every game, save getting his boots dirty!

like the humour IM also interested in your comment reference Level 4 / level 5.
Whilst I believe Chris Foy was correct I wouldn't expect (no surprises) level 4 & possibly level 3 to apply same sanction. Pro players know if they commit to a tackle they put themselves at risk if it's mistimed and or endangers safety of opponent.

Back