A&H

Making a meal of a foul

svenny76

RefChat Addict
Hi all

I wandered what your take on when a player is fouled but makes a massive deal of it, ie yes it's a foul tiniest of contact and the player throws himself to the floor theactrically.

I always think well actually no i'm not giving you the free kick as i dont think that's within the spirit of the game.
Had an incident a few weeks ago, defender went over as described, i gave him the free kick and spoke with him about the way he went down.
His reply was well a foul is a foul ref, yes good point.
I tried explaining that it could make it very difficult for me to call a KMI if players are going over so theatrically.
I didnt even bother discussing the spirit of the game thing with him!

What's your thoughts??
My thoughts are yes, a foul is a foul, but have a quiet word with the player about it??

The Referee Store
When this happened in my games, I used to give the FK and loudly and clearly make a comment about the exaggeration. Would normally be a light-hearted comment that would bring a laugh, but it depended on circumstance. If it was an ill-tempered game, it'd be a more stern comment, with no humour - but so all partied knew I'd seen it, I knew it was a foul, but the player had made a meal of it.

Whenever the 'making a meal' was questioned before I could comment, I'd normally respond with 'yes, he has, but it's still a foul isn't it?'

If I'm close enough, I will normally say to defenders, yes he did make a meal of it , bit it was still a foul - as long as it was!, they seem to accept that.

I've said "You've got your foul now get up and get on with it" very loudly. Had the desired effect from both sides!

I have had this before from a player when refereeing a professional clubs youth team, I gave the FK as it was a clear foul, but I got the player and the captain over, explained I knew exactly what he was trying to do and if it happened again I would be cautioning him for simulation. I have refereed him several times since and he hasn't tried it once :)

Don't give him the FK and make a comment to do with not giving and cheap free kicks when you go down like a sack of .....?

Also tell the captains as you go past next. He won't do it again and if he does his captain will have a go at him.

Back