A&H

Maidstone Utd v Eastbourne Borough

Jacob M

Level 7 Referee
A tight game in the National League South, with a few controversial decisions (see highlights below)

An unsuccessful penalty appeal at 1:10, as well as an incident at 5:24 which led to the manager being sent off for his reaction to the referee pulling the play back after an advantage . I don't think there's any question over the send off, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the penalty appeal, and for the later incident, whether you feel there was sufficient advantage to play on, and enough time was allowed for one to develop.

The Referee Store
1:10 What are your thoughts? That is a stone waller as they say.

As for 5:24. Maybe just a frustrations from a boiling game. But where the referee positioned himself as the abuse was coming wasn't great, with his back to the dug outs.

I was there as a Maidstone fan, so obviously from the other end of the stadium I could tell it was a penalty. Joking aside, I thought it was a penalty at the time but I was surprised as to how stonewall it actually was when I saw the highlights. However, we all make mistakes and overall I thought the referee had a good game. I felt there was enough advantage to play on but I didn't think by pulling it back for the foul he was denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity as the Eastbourne match report put it.

Clear penalty and for me, there was enough advantage in the second incident to play on and then (if necessary) caution the yellow player at the next break in play. Obviously though, no referee decision would justify that kind of reaction from the manager and this was not even a real howler!

That's a clear penalty. Maybe the referee incorrectly thought the attacker ran into the defender (and missed the kick as well). Reckless to boot.

As for the second incident - good foul recognition by the referee actually. A lot of referees miss these ones - I know I used to.
Advantage is a tricky one here - the player brought it down, but is immediately being pressured, with another defender in the middle. So I can see the justification, but there's possession (just, possibly about to lose it) and opportunity (questionable). I think there's enough of both to warrant the advantage - there's a huge gain in field position and a not-unreasonable chance at goal (but far from obvious). But he probably could have waited a bit longer - if the player lost the ball, go back. If not, then play on. I think that's what he should have done, actually.

I don't think it was late enough for a caution. Disgusting reaction by the coach.

Back