A&H

LOTG Exam Revision - A Different Approach!

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
18 months ago, when trying to make sense of the LOTG for my exam, I produced the Visio diagram attached. I draw these sorts of logical diagrams regularly in my line of work, so it's not an insane thing to do in my world. However, I suspect that many of you will look at it and think 'WTF?'
It was never completed and probably has some minor errors and may be a bit tricky to follow, but I thought it might tickle at least some of you on this lazy Friday afternoon
Enjoy...

Attachments

• BigCat-Laws.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 64
The Referee Store
I have no idea where to start with it.
I started by trying to reconcile the FA codes for cautions and dismissals with the LOTG. From there it spawned a life of its own, over which I had little control!
Generally, ball out of play stuff is around the periphery, with stoppages and restarts into and out of the central area
It lacks clarity with respect to 'who, what, where, when' and is too entangled
When I graduate to a 'Year 2 Law Student', I might rework it. Then again, given I have four kids, a demanding job and moderate alcohol consumption to take care of; I might not...

I started by trying to reconcile the FA codes for cautions and dismissals with the LOTG. From there it spawned a life of its own, over which I had little control!
Generally, ball out of play stuff is around the periphery, with stoppages and restarts into and out of the central area
It lacks clarity with respect to 'who, what, where, when' and is too entangled
When I graduate to a 'Year 2 Law Student', I might rework it. Then again, given I have four kids, a demanding job and moderate alcohol consumption to take care of; I might not...

I know what you mean....I started with a simple spreadsheet 15 years ago to calculate duct bends and equipment prices etc on and an extraction system and that grew into 2 absolute monster costing, ordering, documents we use throughout my company, its a wonderful work of mathematics art, tens of thousands of calculations and predictiveness hidden in the background. If ever I work on it now it fries my brain as if you change one thing it affects tens of others.... Make sure you're sat in a darkened room with the kids tucked up!!!

The FA Codes for USB on WGS are an utter nonsense
AA Aggressive Attitude - Not referred to in the LOTG
DI Simulation - OK
DP Dangerous Play - Not specifically listed as a yellow card offence in the LOTG. Red card - Yes
FT Foul Tackle - Should come under 'Preventing Promising Attack' (or offinabus inside PA)
GC Goal Celebration - OK
HB Handball - OK
RP Reckless Play - OK
SP Pushing/Pulling - Should come under 'Preventing Promising Attack' (or offinabus inside PA)
TR Tripping - Should come under 'Preventing Promising Attack' (or offinabus inside PA)
UB Unspecified - OK
The FA's interpretation of the book effects every referee, because we all have to reconcile our misconduct with the codes. This must cause widespread confusion because the codes are not consistent with the book
That's where it all started (the diagram)!

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
I prefer the codes even if they're haphazard anyway.

When I started we had to type out what happened for the cautions, in much the same way as we do for sending offs and misconducts today. That was such a ball-ache, trying to remember each specific offence and how much was just enough information. Now it's just, C1, RT, whatever! :p

Looking at your chart -- you have the "6 second" GK violation with an arrow going to "delaying the restart".

I think that this is incorrect, because the ball is in play, and thus there's no restart being delayed here.

Looking at your chart -- you have the "6 second" GK violation with an arrow going to "delaying the restart".

I think that this is incorrect, because the ball is in play, and thus there's no restart being delayed here.
Agreed - mistake. Begs the question however, should a GK be cautioned for this or is an IDFK adequate punishment? It's not listed as a cautionable offence

Its just an IFK. Despite it being just an IFK its hardly ever given. Put a caution on it too and it will be totally ignored.

Agreed - mistake. Begs the question however, should a GK be cautioned for this or is an IDFK adequate punishment? It's not listed as a cautionable offence
@one is correct. This isnt a cautionable offence. I think its seen as time wasting, which is often the misunderstood offence for delaying the restart. As the ball is in play there is no delaying of restart so no caution. Just idfk

That has made my eyes bleed … :)

I'm an IT architect so Visio is my tool of trade, but fair play to you for that as I would have got bored and fed up before I'd finished even 25% of that.

Very similar job title to mine. As i say it was an exam revision thing. It spawned as i trawled through the book. I think it would be very difficult to take it any further without scrapping it and starting over. Been good for quick reference though and it was the thread with MIB last night which made me think of it

Back