A&H

Looks like I won't be going for promotion this year

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Applied for promotion during the 2016/17 season. Checked with the RDO's assistant/deputy with regards to criteria. The old criteria was I had to referee 20 games (minimum of 14 must be adult matches) before applying. He told me that they have scrapped that. Due to this information, I didn't push to get this amount of games in. Well the RDO sends me an email asking me to submit my fixtures between 29th Feb 2015 and 1st March 2016 to review them.

I am now really confused and am quite worried that I will miss out on going for promotion. I spoke to my referee mentor who said that he is under the impression that this is suggested rather than set in stone. He also said that because I have done numerous lines on the Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division, they might accept me on anyway. I will phone my RDO tomorrow morning to check everything. Fingers crossed!!!

Wish me luck!

The Referee Store
From the Essex FA website (which sounds about right to me)

The promotion season commences on 1st March each year, so if you are looking to move up the ladder of officialdom, the details below might help you.

Instructions for Promotion

If you wish to be considered for promotion, you should first ensure that you would be able to meet the criteria laid down by The FA.

Level 7 Promotion Scheme Eligibility

Any Level 7 referee wishing to apply for promotion for the first time must first ensure that they have officiated as a referee in a minimum of 20 games (a minimum of 14 must be in adult matches), in one registration period before applying. No affiliated association may impose any other qualification periods, which cause a delayed passage through the promotion pyramid.

Level 7-6

All Level 7 to 6 promotion candidates will be expected to meet the following criteria:

* attend a recognised in-service training seminar
* successfully complete an examination on the laws of the game
* keep their allocated Group Area Assessor Coordinator informed of all their fixtures
* referee a minimum of 20 11v11 appointed matches during the promotion season, of which a maximum of six games may be at Under 18s level
* respond to all correspondence efficiently, preferably by E-Mail
* receive a minimum of three assessments during the promotion season

Read more at http://www.essexfa.com/referees/promotion#zc4riZhVbWUWsL1l.99

The guy I spoke to said that the websitr needed updating. Anyway, spoke to the RDO this morning who asked me to put whatever games I have done in an email to him (including lines and U18) and he will look at it

You should be ok provided you can demonstrate the requisite experience, they can flex the referee experience criteria a bit if you can replace some of the games with assistant referee appointments instead.

It's purely up to James and the promotion panel (which meets on 16th March) so argue your case.

Back