A&H

Long sleeves/Under shirts at high levels?

LC

Level 6 Referee
Just a question I have always been curious about.

In the Premier League, Football League and Conference non of the officials ever seem to wear long sleeves or under shirts no matter how cold it is.

Is there a rule saying they are not allowed or do they all just choose not to?

The Referee Store
Find Boxing day MOTD - think every oficial was LS in all colours.

Undershirt (visible) is a no-no, so its either all SS or all LS, and if someone not got their LS, then tough luck for the other two.

Fair enough then. I was at a Conference game on boxing day where it was VERY cold and all 3 officials had short sleeves. Any match on the tele I remembered to have a look for it after they have all been short sleeve as well so that's why I was curious.

Each official can wear what they wish in terms of sleeve choice. If one wants to wear LS, but other two in SS, that's allowed. Equally, if an AR wants to wear gloves, he is allowed to do so (as long as they are the black Nike ones supplied by PGMOL).

As said above, they aren't allowed to wear SS shirt & LS undershirt (they're supplied with LS shirts, so if they're cold, they wear that!)

Mark Clattenburg looked frozen in the WBA/Man City game on Boxing Day and he could barely write when he cautioned a player (Fernando) near the end of the game. Perhaps that's why there was only one caution in the whole game.
And last night in the Spurs/Chelsea game, Phil Dowd's undershirt was visible and not black.

Due to their profile these guys set an example and they will be copied. Rightly or wrongly, if they contravene the regulations others will follow so, if the FA want to set a standard code of dress, the top guys should be spot on every minute on the job.
(That's not really a criticism of Clattenburg - who was simply cold - nor, Dowd but the latter should toe the line if dress standards are an issue to Referee Development.)

Any player, or official, can wear any colour short sleeve undershirt. So I don't understand your grievance with Dowd?

As for Clatts, he often wears long sleeves, but obviously decided it wasn't cold enough to warrant it on this occasion!

Undershirt (visible) is a no-no, ...

I don't have a grievance against Phil Dowd. I was always told wear black baselayer or t-shirt and not have it visible, pretty much as @HRW suggests. Last night Dowd's was clearly blue (and a bad choice given the teams playing IMHO) and visible.

If there are standards of dress code, the top guys should set the example not go their own way. How would you feel if you were denied promotion because you wore a blue undershirt in an assessed game?

If there are standards of dress code, the top guys should set the example not go their own way. How would you feel if you were denied promotion because you wore a blue undershirt in an assessed game?
I'd appeal it (and win) as it's something you can't be docked marks on.

I wear black LS baselayer with short sleeve shirt pretty much Dec-Mar.
It looks perfectly smart.
I'm not paying for LS and SS shirts only to use each for half the season

I wear black LS baselayer with short sleeve shirt pretty much Dec-Mar.
It looks perfectly smart.
I'm not paying for LS and SS shirts only to use each for half the season
not paying for two shirts what do you guys do with your match fees lol, and remember up here in chilly scotland we have 3 colours not just black

Ha, well what I meant was I'm not buying 4 shirts instead of the 2 I already own.
My car was burnt out in Plymouth by some friendly locals in April. Cost me £300+ to replace all the refereeing gear.
People underestimate how much getting properly kitted up costs

not paying for two shirts what do you guys do with your match fees lol, and remember up here in chilly scotland we have 3 colours not just black
As has already been established, you guys are the best paid refs in the uk!! What is another shirt..??
Ha, well what I meant was I'm not buying 4 shirts instead of the 2 I already own.
My car was burnt out in Plymouth by some friendly locals in April. Cost me £300+ to replace all the refereeing gear.
People underestimate how much getting properly kitted up costs
what?? Car burnt out? What kind of bad match was that?

No football involved. Just left my car parked overnight where the local scum like to meet and compare **** cars.
They obv didn't like mine

Back