A&H

Liverpool v Leicester

redref2005

Level 6 Referee
1644569980541.png
Just after Salah takes this shot that the keeper does well to save - he is tackled badly from behind and play is waved on - surely this is a foul after the shot has taken place. How come we see this all the time on tv in big matches and you never get the foul? Surely it doesn't matter that the shot has been made - the ball is still in play and if this had happened anywhere else on the pitch the result would be a foul and probably a card.

*Apologies this is a still - I couldn't find the actual vid.

A&H International
I was just thinking about posting about this exact incident! Video here for anyone in the UK, 1:26 if the clip doesn't autostart there:

I agree 100% this should be a penalty and at least yellow too - but it's also fair to say that these tackles after the shot go consistently unpunished in the PL. I don't see this as a one-off incident or indicative of any particular anti-Liverpool agenda, this is just an endemic problem that needs to get sorted before someone is more seriously hurt.

I was just thinking about posting about this exact incident! Video here for anyone in the UK, 1:26 if the clip doesn't autostart there:

I agree 100% this should be a penalty and at least yellow too - but it's also fair to say that these tackles after the shot go consistently unpunished in the PL. I don't see this as a one-off incident or indicative of any particular anti-Liverpool agenda, this is just an endemic problem that needs to get sorted before someone is more seriously hurt.
You know it’s a problem when even the Liverpool players breaking with Salah don’t make any kind of appeal after

Literally just watched the highlights myself and said it was a penalty. Clearly very late.

I agree. But it is so consistently not called at top levels you have to wonder if that is what they are being taught--if it didn't affect a shot that the player got off, don't call it.

I do think the "trifling" threshold is different pre and post shot. But I think it has gone too far at the top level where clear fouls just get ignored because a shot was taken.

Where is that video review nonsense that people keep harping on about?

Seeing this for the first time. I'm apoplectic TBH as there was a potential injury here, no realistic prospect of playing the ball. It's a penalty and at least a yellow card. Nuts.

Where is that video review nonsense that people keep harping on about?

Seeing this for the first time. I'm apoplectic TBH as there was a potential injury here, no realistic prospect of playing the ball. It's a penalty and at least a yellow card. Nuts.

I've stopped asking questions about what does and doesn't get sent down in the EPL . . .

Rightly or wrongly, I think it is a "what football expects" thing. He's got his shot away and fluffed it, so there's an argument as to why should his team get another chance. I gave a penalty in an FA Cup game when I was L3 that was not dissimilar to this, and from their reaction you could have been forgiven for thinking I'd kicked the team mascot cat across the pitch (topical 😂). Even the manager from the team that won the penalty said in his interview that he felt sorry for the other team as it shouldn't have been given.

Not saying I agree with it, but there is definitely an expectation at senior levels that these aren't given.

Rightly or wrongly, I think it is a "what football expects" thing. He's got his shot away and fluffed it, so there's an argument as to why should his team get another chance. I gave a penalty in an FA Cup game when I was L3 that was not dissimilar to this, and from their reaction you could have been forgiven for thinking I'd kicked the team mascot cat across the pitch (topical ). Even the manager from the team that won the penalty said in his interview that he felt sorry for the other team as it shouldn't have been given.

Not saying I agree with it, but there is definitely an expectation at senior levels that these aren't given.
Wrongly

Rightly or wrongly, I think it is a "what football expects" thing. He's got his shot away and fluffed it, so there's an argument as to why should his team get another chance. I gave a penalty in an FA Cup game when I was L3 that was not dissimilar to this, and from their reaction you could have been forgiven for thinking I'd kicked the team mascot cat across the pitch (topical 😂). Even the manager from the team that won the penalty said in his interview that he felt sorry for the other team as it shouldn't have been given.

Yes, good points. I think it’s like the two bites advantage dilemma.

There’s a great opportunity to tweak a law to benefit attackers. The law could state that a foul in the act of attempting to block or prevent a shot with the ball in play should be a free kick/pk if a goal is not immediately scored.

it would move the needle;)

Yes, good points. I think it’s like the two bites advantage dilemma.

There’s a great opportunity to tweak a law to benefit attackers. The law could state that a foul in the act of attempting to block or prevent a shot with the ball in play should be a free kick/pk if a goal is not immediately scored.

it would move the needle;)

We could award two free throws!

I called a PK once in a 12U game to hear a coach I knew had played college basketball yelling "she wasn't shooting!" Took me a moment to realize he was yelling at his defender to be smart and not foul in the PA when the attacker was dribbling away from the goal . . .

Back