A&H

Leyton Orient V Hartlepool

A&H International
Though he didn’t exactly add to the second half.

He played the added 4 minutes of the first half after the half time break (going in the first half direction, and then changed ends to do the second half kick off.

Though he didn’t exactly add to the second half.

He played the added 4 minutes of the first half after the half time break (going in the first half direction, and then changed ends to do the second half kick off.
Yes. I understand what he did. That's why I said he got creative.
But in principle, despite turning them round he has accounted for the time keeping error. He should have just played the 45 min + stoppage with no turnaround.

I have a hazy recollection of relatively recent guidance that if the R realizes the first half was short during the half time interval after teams have left the field, this is the right procedure rather than bringing them back out of the locker rooms, playing for a few minutes, and restarting halftime. But for the life of me, I can’t think where it was or exactly what it said. (I scrolled through the FAQs and didn’t see anything.)

Of course, this really isn’t a mistake that should happen (have we been saying that a lot lately?)--how do none of the assistant’s recognize the issue and tell the R before the teams leave the field? (I once stopped a half early on a day I was doing different age levels and crossed times--my AR (far, far lower level than the folks here!) immediately told me we and we brought the players back before half had made it to the touchline.)

I'm with @socal lurker . A mistake was made by not playing added time at the end of first half. The best way to deal with it is to not make the mistake in the first place or get everyone back on the field before they have gone into the change rooms. But once you and the teams realise it after everyone is in the change rooms, no matter what you do there will be complaints from the losing team. This includes if you don't play the the 4 minute added time at all.

What he did here doesn't sound like the worst option. The worst thing you can do is add more time at the END of the second half.

Another lotg 'legal' option (prob not rule comp legal) I can think of is to announce the game will be played as 41 minute halves (depending on the injury time kept by ref). First half has had 4 minute added time, and second half will start added time after 41 minutes. I have done this in the past when first half has had long delays (bad injury) and there had been light concerns. But this was allowed by my comp rules.

I'm with @socal lurker . A mistake was made by not playing added time at the end of first half. The best way to deal with it is to not make the mistake in the first place or get everyone back on the field before they have gone into the change rooms. But once you and the teams realise it after everyone is in the change rooms, no matter what you do there will be complaints from the losing team. This includes if you don't play the the 4 minute added time at all.

What he did here doesn't sound like the worst option. The worst thing you can do is add more time at the END of the second half.

Another lotg 'legal' option (prob not rule comp legal) I can think of is to announce the game will be played as 41 minute halves (depending on the injury time kept by ref). First half has had 4 minute added time, and second half will start added time after 41 minutes. I have done this in the past when first half has had long delays (bad injury) and there had been light concerns. But this was allowed by my comp rules.
Doesn't that arrangement need to agreed before the start of the game?

Doesn't that arrangement need to agreed before the start of the game?
Not if the comp rules allow it. Most our grounds have 5 games (7 with lights) played on them in a day. I regularly referee in 2 comps and both those require the games to be shortened if possible so next game starts on time. One also has a shortening limit of 75% (if memory serves me right).

For example, a bad injury requiring ambulance in the 35th minute of first half can have a 30-60 minute delay and still have a 'complete' 2 X 35 minute half game. The same delay in second half means the game is suspended and possible shortening of the next game's halves.

Not if the comp rules allow it. Most our grounds have 5 games (7 with lights) played on them in a day. I regularly referee in 2 comps and both those require the games to be shortened if possible so next game starts on time. One also has a shortening limit of 75% (if memory serves me right).

For example, a bad injury requiring ambulance in the 35th minute of first half can have a 30-60 minute delay and still have a 'complete' 2 X 35 minute half game. The same delay in second half means the game is suspended and possible shortening of the next game's halves.

must be a regional thing because here, you cannot simply decide mid game to alter the duration.
Least not in any competitive fixture
If am on a game, then an injury, and two teams are waiting to get on, sorry thats nothing to do with me

if this time thing bringing them out for 4 mins then turning round is valid, i need to admit the memo passed me by

Last edited:
must be a regional thing because here, you cannot simply decide mid game to alter the duration.
Least not in any competitive fixture
If am on a game, then an injury, and two teams are waiting to get on, sorry thats nothing to do with me
You kick off at 1pm. Next game in the same field is scheduled at 3pm. 35th minute injury and can't move the injured player. Ambulance is called. It takes 45minutes to clear all and can restart again at 2.20pm. What do you do from there?

You kick off at 1pm. Next game in the same field is scheduled at 3pm. 35th minute injury and can't move the injured player. Ambulance is called. It takes 45minutes to clear all and can restart again at 2.20pm. What do you do from there?

Am seeing out my game
if i cant ( let on pitch and janitor demands am off), then my game is abandined on 63 mins and report submitted to league.
Am in no way responsible for the next game on the park

Back