A&H

Level 6 to 5 observation

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Lengthy post coming up! Has my first observation at the weekend. Was incredibly nervous as it was my first game at county level and didn’t feel my fitness was the best it could be due to my late start into pre season (didn’t have a productive lockdown!)

first 10/15 I was doing well but could feel myself over compensating with movement and sprints as the game was noticeably quicker to that of what I’m used to however, I managed to adapt to this and got into the spring of things.

i felt I was having a good game but I had seemingly come against 2 sides who disagreed, but 2 first half sin buns quickly sorted that with a further 2 standard bookings in the second Half.

anyway, there’s a point I’m getting to with this. I continuously felt I was doing well but all I could hear was grumbles from all fans, both bench’s and both sets of players. I couldn’t keep anyone happy. Not enough for dissent, but it was clear enough. After the game, manager of away team came up to me and starting moaning about my decisions and arrogance to give them. First time, I explained them, second time I asked him to leave, third I went with the red card. Went back to the changing room and could hear both sets of teams complaining about me, saying they can’t believe I’m at this level and my observer must be laughing at that performance.I felt absolutely demoralised and was dreading the report. I went out for the debrief and the first words out of the observers mouth, ‘that was excellent, I’ve got next to no negatives to say about that’. I asked about his opinions on teams and his response ‘you’d struggle to find 2 more sides gobbing off like that with your performance’. Cue Confidence going sky high! I’m yet to receive the official report but I’m genuinely excited to read it. I’ve missed refereeing!

This post was sort of in response to a thread which was posted recently which I couldn’t find with somebody worrying about player reaction but morale of the story, stick to your guns, Do what you do best and Just simply concentrate. There’s only one person on the day you need to impress and they are likely to be the only person who knows what they are talking about!

The Referee Store
Lengthy post coming up! Has my first observation at the weekend. Was incredibly nervous as it was my first game at county level and didn’t feel my fitness was the best it could be due to my late start into pre season (didn’t have a productive lockdown!)

first 10/15 I was doing well but could feel myself over compensating with movement and sprints as the game was noticeably quicker to that of what I’m used to however, I managed to adapt to this and got into the spring of things.

i felt I was having a good game but I had seemingly come against 2 sides who disagreed, but 2 first half sin buns quickly sorted that with a further 2 standard bookings in the second Half.

anyway, there’s a point I’m getting to with this. I continuously felt I was doing well but all I could hear was grumbles from all fans, both bench’s and both sets of players. I couldn’t keep anyone happy. Not enough for dissent, but it was clear enough. After the game, manager of away team came up to me and starting moaning about my decisions and arrogance to give them. First time, I explained them, second time I asked him to leave, third I went with the red card. Went back to the changing room and could hear both sets of teams complaining about me, saying they can’t believe I’m at this level and my observer must be laughing at that performance.I felt absolutely demoralised and was dreading the report. I went out for the debrief and the first words out of the observers mouth, ‘that was excellent, I’ve got next to no negatives to say about that’. I asked about his opinions on teams and his response ‘you’d struggle to find 2 more sides gobbing off like that with your performance’. Cue Confidence going sky high! I’m yet to receive the official report but I’m genuinely excited to read it. I’ve missed refereeing!

This post was sort of in response to a thread which was posted recently which I couldn’t find with somebody worrying about player reaction but morale of the story, stick to your guns, Do what you do best and Just simply concentrate. There’s only one person on the day you need to impress and they are likely to be the only person who knows what they are talking about!
Some teams will never be happy. You give a foul for one team the other team will complain and vice versa. Don't give a foul and the team will moan but if you did give it the team conceding would moan. Can't win some of them. Players rarely give objective opinion and you probably suffered a bit of LWR who maybe let's them get away with more than you would allow.

Very similar to my first 6-5. Got told by both players I'd had a shocker. Observer felt otherwise and gave me an Above Standard.

Sounds like the two teams hit all the wrong notes and you won't be playing second fiddle to anyone this campaign

Agree with the majority - the one thing you need to bear in mind with observations is that how the players think you've done is totally irrelevant.

The example that sticks out in my mind is whee I was running a line on an observed game. I let a tight offside shout go - the attacker had run through from deep onto a long ball, so looked miles offside when he received it, but had been still in line when it was played. Caused no end of fuss and was still being reference 15 minutes later by the losing manager, but after the game, the observer said that he was directly behind me in that moment and that it was a great call. If anything, he was marginally critical of the referee for giving off the impression he thought I was wrong as well - he saw it as a missed opportunity to support me and show good teamwork!

That's my experience too: often assessors and teams are looking for very different things, especially at that level. Keep your assessors happy and you'll be fine.

Back