A&H

Level 4 Query

Bongsmon

Level 4 Referee
Just wondering whether if you are a Level 4 official, you have to do the contributory league lines or whether that is an optional extra as it were.
I'm currently debating my future as a referee - I love it but I'm struggling to combine work & family commitments with the amount of time I'm expected to give (travelling, arrival at ground before a certain time, clubhouse/boardroom afterwards etc..) as a contributory league assistant.
I love refereeing & am not considering giving it up but I would prefer to carry on refereeing at supply league level as opposed to dropping down to level 5. Anyone know whether this is possible?

The Referee Store
At level 4 you are a Supply League referee & a contributory league assistant referee. They come as a package.

Just wondering whether if you are a Level 4 official, you have to do the contributory league lines or whether that is an optional extra as it were.
I'm currently debating my future as a referee - I love it but I'm struggling to combine work & family commitments with the amount of time I'm expected to give (travelling, arrival at ground before a certain time, clubhouse/boardroom afterwards etc..) as a contributory league assistant.
I love refereeing & am not considering giving it up but I would prefer to carry on refereeing at supply league level as opposed to dropping down to level 5. Anyone know whether this is possible?
This is the very reason i didnt apply to go from 6 to 4 when given the opportunity , MY FA told all promotion candidates that midweed lines and travelling would become expected of you .

I did not want my hobby becoming a chore so i kindly passed up the offer .

The two are a package. Technically, you are not a 'supply league referee' but rather on the National List of Contributory League Assistants, which has supply league refereeing thrown in.

As you will have seen, you generally do more lines than middles at L4 (to an extreme extent in some areas due to the number of Level 4s compared to available supply league games).

Sadly, if you are no longer able to fulfil the time commitments, you would need to drop down to level 5 and continue your refereeing there.

I consider L4 as penance for the joys to come at higher levels. I applied on the basis that it's a way of getting to L3 and perhaps is a way of weeding out those who aren't committed enough?

That's how I see it, I know I may never get beyond it (if j get there at all) but it's perhaps worth the sacrifice for a few years if it gets you on the higher levels.

Back