A&H

Leicester City

The Referee Store
The problem with VAR is that it's still one dude looking at it... a human not a robot.

They're gonna drop some clangers.

Y'know, SAME AS NORMAL. Dunno what people expect like

I gave one like KDB a few years back, I was surrounded by some angry Neanderthals but it was a pen. If I was reffing tomorrow it would be too! Someone needs to pension off some of these idiots at the Stockley Clown Sanctuary. They are clueless at the moment!

Last edited:
If his hands aren't there, the ball hits his face. The handball law was written to disallow hands/arms in an unnatural position.
View attachment 4091

All I can say is that all defenders in my games are now going to think they can defend a free kick like this because two EPL referees think it's not handball.

You'd expects this from U12 park football not from a pro footballer (in the top ten highest paid I think).

To provide a counter to all the blustering positions here, the handball law was written to disallow hands/arms in an unnatural position that stop the ball moving past the player. If De Bruyne's hands aren't there, the ball hits his face or it hits Laporte. The 'handball' doesn't stop the ball going in the goal. While not in line with what proper football men want, I'm not giving this in my games.

That said, should top-level professionals be held to a higher standard? Possibly. But to say that it isn't natural to instinctively block your face is just wrong.

If his hands aren't there, the ball hits his face. The handball law was written to disallow hands/arms in an unnatural position.

To provide a counter to all the blustering positions here, the handball law was written to disallow hands/arms in an unnatural position that stop the ball moving past the player. If De Bruyne's hands aren't there, the ball hits his face or it hits Laporte. The 'handball' doesn't stop the ball going in the goal. While not in line with what proper football men want, I'm not giving this in my games.

That said, should top-level professionals be held to a higher standard? Possibly. But to say that it isn't natural to instinctively block your face is just wrong.
I disagree with your prediction of the ball's path. I am fairly certain it is going through the gap with a possible small deflection.

However I ask you this, using your logic in two cenarios.

1. Every player in the wall in every free kick in your Games does this as soon as the ball is hit. Will you be happy with that?
2. Ball going into goal head high from directly in front. Defender on the goal line catches the ball in front of his face? Is that a hand ball.

What the ball would do after a hand ball has never been or is a consideration in handball but only a consideration for sanctions.

I think that's a relic from the start of the season when VAR pretended there was no such thing as a clear and obvious error. It's certainly not the worst VAR handball decision this season!

On a wider note on getting your head in the way of a hard-struck FK, and the recently-highlighted risk of concussion and long-term brain damage, I'm not sure that the present wording is adequate to prevent endangering the safety of the players. If we allow players to protect their heads in U12 park football the same reasoning might apply at higher levels (no-one is paid enough to risk actions that may cause dementia).

Surely as an adult he can move his head out the way rather than putting his hands up?

KDB is also on the end of the wall and turns in a way that in my opinion means he could have simply moved out the way by either ducking or moving to the left rather than simply throwing his hands up.

Reactions: one
I think KDB could easily move his head out of the way and duck.

He has outstretched his arm and it is in an unnatural position, so for me that is a penalty.

David Coote getting a lot of criticism online.

Back to the wider debate. I'm still amazed that everyone including referees are 'surprised' we have decisions we don't agree with.

Doesn't matter if the VAR looks at it 20 times, if the pitch referee looks at the monitor, they speed it up, slow it down. show the crowd blah blah blah - its still a SUBJECTIVE decision and like all those we all make week in week out they WILL be debated and disagreed with.

Even supporters of VAR can surely see that NO system is ever going to produce decisions that all agree with?

Back to the wider debate. I'm still amazed that everyone including referees are 'surprised' we have decisions we don't agree with.

Doesn't matter if the VAR looks at it 20 times, if the pitch referee looks at the monitor, they speed it up, slow it down. show the crowd blah blah blah - its still a SUBJECTIVE decision and like all those we all make week in week out they WILL be debated and disagreed with.

Even supporters of VAR can surely see that NO system is ever going to produce decisions that all agree with?

I get that on things like penalty decisions, but the two David Coote VAR decisions yesterday were both obvious and I'd say at least 90% of referees would agree on them. Not necessarily his fault though, I suspect the officials are baffled by the instructions they are being given and it is leading to problems.

I get that on things like penalty decisions, but the two David Coote VAR decisions yesterday were both obvious and I'd say at least 90% of referees would agree on them. Not necessarily his fault though, I suspect the officials are baffled by the instructions they are being given and it is leading to problems.

Totally agree RR - but just like we all get decisions 'wrong' in real life then VAR is going to do the same. I agree some are more puzzling than others and looking at an incident from multiple angles and having a couple of minutes to do so brings greater expectations of 'accuracy' but its still a judgement call & therefore will always attract debate/disagreement.

Well, not exactly. Rs make decisions solely on the recommendations of ARs all the time. It’s just not true to say (even without VAR) that the R makes all subjective decisions himself—he often makes the decision to accept the subjective recommendation of an AR as the sole basis for a decision.

I agree with you that the R should be doing an OFR for all subjective decisions. And that is true everywhere in the world except the PL. in the PL and the rest of the world, the VAR is only supposed to get involved if the VAR thinks there is a clear error. We need to keep that in mind—VAR is not supposed to be used on close subjective decisions, only on clearly erroneous subjective decisions. The VAR here could certainly have been thinking “Inwould have called that”—but he needs more than just that to send it down, he needs to be,eve it was a clear errror to think it was not handling.

The ref makes a decision based on what his AR says that he saw in real time, I agree, but I am sure that in most cases you can tell that something has happened, even if you aren't sure what. Also, if you could view it yourself to double check if you have missed something, you would in many instances. As the PGMOL aren't using the monitors correctly it 'comes across' as the VAR is overruling the referee, whether that is actually the case or not we won't know until we hear the audio.

CF529463-F471-4322-A389-EDB2A582039D.jpeg
Baffled that decent refs at any level would fail to do the right thing.... Terrible weekend for VAR, has Magic Mike walked yet??? Or is he still polishing turds!!

I'm also in little doubt that the VAR is detrimentally affecting on-field refereeing standards. This HB typifies when a referee might be subconsciously hesitant, in the knowledge that it will be re-refereed (badly, in most cases because of C&O etc.)

Back