A&H

Leeds Vs Arsenal

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
2 studs on the foot/ankle "challenges", no attempt to play the ball. Xhaka on Rafinha, no card. Gelhardt a few minutes later, possibly due to frustration of the Xhaka incident, yellow carded for his "challenge".

No card for Arsenal player either refusing to retreat at the Leeds free kick despite repeated whistle blows. Leeds player kicks the ball straight at him, probably in an attempt to get him yellow carded, ref orders retake and settles for a ticking off. Raul will probably be feeling a bit aggrieved at the inconsistency.

Last edited:
A&H International
I think it's a red but also a correct non intervention from Oliver. It just looks shocking when a crew misses something by three levels. You'd wonder if the AR could have had an angle on the studs contact.

Typical Xhaka "challenge", knew exactly what he was doing and stood there laughing knowing he had got away with it!

no attempt to play the ball.
He won the ball and followed through.

I agree - typical clueless xhaka. I really don't know what Arteta sees in him.

Plenty of similar tackles (foot/ankle area) this season which have not been upgraded to red, so VAR showing some consistency for once.

Poor from the ref though, should have been his second booking after not retreating.

I think it's a red but also a correct non intervention from Oliver. It just looks shocking when a crew misses something by three levels. You'd wonder if the AR could have had an angle on the studs contact.
If Xhaka's foul is a red, how is it a correct non-intervention by VAR?

Because not every red is a clear and obvious error. It's the outcome of fouls falling on a spectrum.
There have been accidental challenges (e.g. foot glancing off top of ball) far less "red" than that. Last week's VAR again.

At the least, not giving a yellow was a clear and obvious error. Even if the VAR can only intervene for a "direct red card", then unless the onfield referee is bound to accept the VAR recommendation, it's surely an option to review it and decide it's only yellow.

You do wonder what goes on in their minds. Did VAR recommend a review and the OR not "initiate" the review? Or did VAR really not see that as a red? But we'll never know why between them they made a clear and obvious error.

I'm STILL a little amazed that referees are amazed that they don't agree with VAR.

Fans yes, I get it, but we all know that we don't always agree with the on field EPL and EFL referees so why do we expect VAR to be 'perfect' - it isn't -and never can be - which has been my beef with the whole thing from the start - benefits don't outweigh down sides to me - but we've been there countless times before so need to revisit that debate again!

Not seen it and old chestnut, stills can be deceiving,

Reeking of a red card tho, ball, no ball, touched ball

Attachments

• 3C058CAB-9E71-4A13-902E-8BB726EF9A69.png
    3C058CAB-9E71-4A13-902E-8BB726EF9A69.png
    2 MB · Views: 12
I'm STILL a little amazed that referees are amazed that they don't agree with VAR.

Fans yes, I get it, but we all know that we don't always agree with the on field EPL and EFL referees so why do we expect VAR to be 'perfect' - it isn't -and never can be - which has been my beef with the whole thing from the start - benefits don't outweigh down sides to me - but we've been there countless times before so need to revisit that debate again!
Like I said earlier, plenty of these have not been upgraded to a red, so for once VAR has been consistent with something, which probably deserves praise? Haha

Main difference for me, xhaka stayed on his feet, didn't lunge in and won the ball. The Leeds player lunged in out of frustration.

Rest assured. I'll be revisiting VAR's imperfections countless times more!!

Like I said earlier, plenty of these have not been upgraded to a red, so for once VAR has been consistent with something, which probably deserves praise? Haha

Main difference for me, xhaka stayed on his feet, didn't lunge in and won the ball. The Leeds player lunged in out of frustration.
Were we watching the same incident? Xhaka stayed on his other foot; his assault was more controlled, and intentional.

Err? Unless you are referring to xhaka v City haha

Xhaka stood on an foot/ankle whilst standing up. Leeds went the full slide and lunge. Both nasty.
Stood? Stamped.

Even Arsenal fans know it should have been red.

Xhaka was lucky, had Marriner seen it as a red there's no way VAR would have recommended a review, but equally it wasn't an obvious mistake for a review.

I don't agree that the two challenges were the same. Xhaka stayed on his feet whereas the Leeds player lunged in off his feet, but yes Xhaka's should have been at least a caution. I'm not even sure he gave a free kick, I seem to recall they restarted with a throw-in?

I'm worried by referees who don't think this was the more serious challenge.

Last edited:
Back