A&H

Lee Probert - Hull v Liverpool

Rob

Level 9 Referee
I was at the Hull V Liverpool match last night and wanted to mention a couple of things that occurred during the game and wanted to hear anyone's views on them. GK punches the ball clear from a corner and makes contact with his own defender and an opponent , both players go down holding their heads , Referee gives both players a quick glance then allows play to go on , Referee then moves up the pitch with the play looking back at both players who are lying injured with potential head injuries, after a couple of looks back he decides to stop play and wave the Physio's on , the point I am making is I cant understand why he allowed play to continue when an obvious head injury was involved ? . After both players received treatment Lee Probert also failed to ask both players to leave the field of play which I thought is mandatory for any injured player ?. Last but not least, Dame N'doye (Hull City) comes out for the 2nd half wearing a shirt with a different number & name on (Abel Hernandez) , when the Referee realises this he asks the player to leave the field and put on another shirt with his correct name & number on , is this an offence which results in a caution and has it ever happened to anyone during a game and if so what action if any did you take or can you take , is it a breach of any rule ?.

Apologies that it is long winded & this is nothing personal against Lee Probert :)

The Referee Store
The first one is incorrect of the ref. Potential head injury is an immediate stoppage. Also, players down in the 6 yard box is pretty immediate to me. He should also ask them both to leave the field of play. I assume Lee Probert doesn't know that they are head injuries, and with the ball well clear he assumes that there will be no attacking threat.

With the wrong shirt, there is no offence unless it was deliberate. As it is, I assume it was a mistake, so informing the player that he needs to leave the field to change it is the correct course of action/

When 2 team mates collide they do not need to leave the field of play. Keeper never leaves anyway. ;)

They wasn't team mates and the GK was the player who caused the incident when he collided with both players (GK wasn't injured) , one from his team and one from the opposition .

Lol I see - either wasn't clear from your description or my reading is rubbish

Rob the part about not asking the players to leave the FOP is correct i think ?

Saw in a Notts Forest game a few seasons ago , if 2 players from the same team get injured at the same time they can stay on the field after treatment ?

If im wrong im pretty sure i will be quickly corrected ;)

Note to self ........must read posts properly before commenting ! :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SM
My take on it is that the referee clearly didn't think the players were seriously injured. There is nothing in the LOTG that says the game needs to be stopped for a head injury, although head injuries are clearly quite serious. Gary Cahill went down last night holding his head after a collision going for the ball and the ref IMO made the right call and allowed play to continue. 15 seconds later Cahill back on his feet and moving forward again with the ball!

The exceptions paragraph on the second page covers teammates and goal keepers etc.

In terms of the wrong shirt. You would just ask him to leave the field of play to correct his equipment. You would only caution if he refused to leave or re entered without your permission.

In a perfect world Bstard I would agree. But since very player has cottoned on to the fact we stop player every time they hold their head and use it to their advantage, we unfortunately have to be a bit more ruthless IMO

In a perfect world Bstard I would agree. But since very player has cottoned on to the fact we stop player every time they hold their head and use it to their advantage, we unfortunately have to be a bit more ruthless IMO
i wouldnt want to be the ruthless referee who had a player die or have a serious injury because he/she didnt think the injury was serious

It has become a bit of a nonsense at times where you see players who has clearly caught a stray hand slap to the face (completely accidental) rolling around like they have just suffered a brain damage Inducing blow. Cue the screams from their teams mates and supporters: head injury ref! Stop the game

With a head injury? In reality there is rarely treatment unless there is bleeding or the player is out. It's a quick check that they know where they are, splash them with water, quick drink, ready to play on. At higher levels where they have physios present, much the same except they do some fancy neck checks first. :)

Poor old players, damned if they don't know the lotg, damned if they do

This is written nowhere in the LOTG and as a referee you should know better than to spread this much believed myth.
Correct. Serious injury means immediate stoppage, not necessarily a head injury

Yes, but a head injury is immediately 'serious' imho. You can't tell in the same way
Not necessarily but it's down to each persons interpretation of serious

It is unlikely you will immediately stop with most cases of injury unless you see it's serious straight away for example an obvious leg break. You will assess whether the player is responding for a few seconds and if not then stop play.

i wouldnt want to be the ruthless referee who had a player die or have a serious injury because he/she didnt think the injury was serious

I dare say a player at risk of dying will be unconscious, bleeding, screaming or acting very strange.
All of which would cause me to stop the match.
Now the other 99.9% of times, he will ne doing non of these and the 10 second delay whilst I play on will make no difference.

Poor old players, damned if they don't know the lotg, damned if they do

But they don't knwo the laws. Becuase the laws do not demand a stoppage for a (non-serious) head injury.

Back