A&H

Leaving the field of play

The Referee Store
I know of a referee who, during a cup semi final cautioned all 5 subs who encroached on the pitch 5 yards to celebrate a last minute winner.
I can do better. This incident is not made up. It happened in an U15 top tier state youth league game five years ago. My son played for the U16 team in the following game.

Early in the first half after home team scores a goal, all home players including the keeper run over the touchline towards home spectators and celebrate (but stay inside the fence). Referee (17 year old in his 3rd year) takes out the yellow, up in the air, swing it from side to side to all player. They are all in the book for leaving the FOP without permission. Early second half a home player is booked for reckless challenge and gets sent off for second caution. Away scores two late goals and wins the game.

Home team lodged and won an appeal for a rematch.

Learning experience for the 17 year old I guess. I hope they didn't throw the book at him.

Learning experience for the 17 year old I guess. I hope they didn't throw the book at him.
Its a development league and works the same for the referees. I can't tell you for certain but I don't think he got any punishment. It caused him a lot of embarrassment though. I didn't know him but I knew of him and saw him in the middle again a while later.

Back