A&H

League assigned me double header

Ori

So I’ve been assigned a double header for the cup rounds this weekend. Lovely. Im happy with that.
Just had an email from one of the team coaches saying they’ve already arranged a ref for the match.
League rules state that you cannot refuse an appointed referee and install your own ref.

Does this happen a lot?

The Referee Store
So I’ve been assigned a double header for the cup rounds this weekend. Lovely. Im happy with that.
Just had an email from one of the team coaches saying they’ve already arranged a ref for the match.
League rules state that you cannot refuse an appointed referee and install your own ref.

Does this happen a lot?
No. But I would politely go back,.thanking him for confirming your appointment and explain I have been appointed by the appointment officer so any further queries to go to him..and that you'll be there at X time on the day. 👍 any problems on the day contact 07xxxxxxxxx

So just as an update. I messaged my league and got an instant reply saying “I’ll sort”
10 seconds later. Rather strong email saying I hear you want to decline a league appointed ref which is against the rules. Then threatened to escalate matters.

Got a phone call from the coach and to be fair to him, he said he so rarely gets a league appointed ref that he sorts his own. Didn’t realise he was breaking any rules and apologised to me.

All sorted, but I do understand his frustration as we have a serious shortage of referees.

Yeah, probably no malice in it. Not enough refs to go round, particularly at youth level where clubs will often have some lads & dads qualified just to cover their own teams. If they spend most of a season using them, “see ya next sunday” etc then probably just going with the flow without realising the consequences.

Have a good game(s)!

Back