A&H

Laws of the game- Unsporting behaviour

Yellow or not?

• Yellow card

• No card

• Red card

Results are only viewable after voting.

Amazingcal123

I was recently watching a match and a defending player was shown a yellow card for kicking an extra ball off of the FOP. Because it went near to an opposition play but didn't interfere or done in a reckless manner, he was booked.

Was the referee correct in doing this as I have checked my Law book and cannot see how this would be a yellow card? A bit harsh in my eyes

Thanks

The Referee Store
I would imagine that, ITOOTR, the ball was kicked at an opponent in an unsporting way. And it is only the referee’s opinion that matters.

We really need a bit more explanation for it. I suspect while the ball was in play, a second ball was/came on the field of play. A player kicked the second ball off the FOP but he did so when the opponents had possession of the game ball and the player kicked the extra ball off the FOP in the direction of the opponent who had possession. The extra ball went near the opponent but did not interfere with play.

If my description is correct then I would likely caution as well because there right thing to do is to kick it off in a different direction. Although this is a "you have to be there" to be able to give a definitive answer. Even if I don't give it a yellow card, if another referee does it then all I can say is it was harsh, as @socal lurker says, this is one of those that is in the opinion of the referee and two referees may have two different opinions.

My answer is: none of the above. There's just not enough detailed information to make a judgement. My reading of it initially was that it was kicked off in an innocuous manner and that the ball just happened to go near an opponent - but didn't interfere with play. I don't see anything to indicate that the ball was kicked in a direction that was not directly towards the other field.

However it's possible it could have been a different scenario so we need more information.

Back