A&H

Law 3.9

SLI39

If, after a goal is scored, the referee realises, before play restarts, an extra person was on the field of play when the goal was scored:

• the referee must disallow the goal if the extra person was:
    • a player, substitute, substituted player, sent off player or team official of the team that scored the goal; play is restarted with a direct free kick from the position of the extra person
    • an outside agent who interfered with play unless a goal results as outlined above in ‘extra persons on the field of play’; play is restarted with a dropped ball
      Play is restarted with a goal kick, corner kick or dropped ball.

What's the logic here?

The Referee Store
In the first scenario, the extra person is under the jurisdiction of the referee and associated with the team that scored.
In the second, there is not any offence attributed by or against either team and so the only restart is a dropped ball.
Simples

Yes, I understand that, but why the goal kick/corner kick/dropped ball options? I can't see where you would apply the 'over the goal-line, but not a goal' logic and where you would just give a dropped ball.

Is it if the goal was e.g. IDFK in opponent's goal, throw in in own or opponent's goal, corner kick in own goal, IDFK or DFK in own goal, GK in own goal...?

Ah, I think I get it. For the second clause, it depends on whether the outside agent gets the final touch (dropped ball) or merely interferes so as to prevent a defender playing the ball (GK--attacker has last touch; corner--defender has last touch). Thanks for the comments that led me there.

Actually do check your Law book, as it appears you may be conflating two different versions of this Law.
In the 2016 - 17 original rewrite, the penalty for a player interfering was to deny the goal and instead have a corner kick or goal kick.
In 2017 - 18 this was updated to be a direct free kick, as you quote, and the line about corner kick / goal kick was omitted.
In both editions an outside agent interfering could lead to a dropped ball.
You appear to have included sections from two separate rewrites in your version of the Law, which is why they don't properly gel.

I think the problem comes from an apparent typographical error in the online version of the law (the one with the separate laws entries) on the IFAB website. In the full downloadable document the last line about restarting with a goal kick, corner kick or dropped ball does not appear and I think it's fairly clear that it shouldn't be there.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will make sure I consult the proper handbook next time. I was just browsing the online separate laws and came across what was clearly an error. It was a matter of determining what line had to be deleted. My rationale was that you'd only give a dropped ball if the outside agent touched the ball in the build-up to the goal, but the 2017/18 update provides a simpler rule.

Back