A&H

Late KO: how long before you just go home?

deusex

RefChat Addict
Today, I arrived for a County Cup fixture for a 1200 KO.
I arrive to find the previous match kicked off at 1100 so no chance of a KO before 1245. Seems a **** up by the sports college but that's not my fault. I thought: "okay, 45 mins isn't end of world".
This match then goes into extra time (naturally) and I'm thinking: "Well I've already been here 45 mins"
So I kicked my match off at 1325!!! An hour and a half of my time I'd had wasted.
Then cue 90 mins of appalling behaviour (2 reds, 4 YC) and I walked away thinking: "Why did I bother doing them a favour, they didn't give a f*** once the whistle went".
Now, of course this will be going to county and I'm sure a £10 fine will teach them. However, should I have just said at some point: "Sorry fellas, I was here for a 1200 KO, I'm going home"?

The Referee Store
Today, I arrived for a County Cup fixture for a 1200 KO.
I arrive to find the previous match kicked off at 1100 so no chance of a KO before 1245. Seems a **** up by the sports college but that's not my fault. I thought: "okay, 45 mins isn't end of world".
This match then goes into extra time (naturally) and I'm thinking: "Well I've already been here 45 mins"
So I kicked my match off at 1325!!! An hour and a half of my time I'd had wasted.
Then cue 90 mins of appalling behaviour (2 reds, 4 YC) and I walked away thinking: "Why did I bother doing them a favour, they didn't give a f*** once the whistle went".
Now, of course this will be going to county and I'm sure a £10 fine will teach them. However, should I have just said at some point: "Sorry fellas, I was here for a 1200 KO, I'm going home"?
Yes, that's exactly what you should have done. You're onto a no-win situation unfortunately, but fair play for doing it. I'd have been out of there as soon as I knew it was 45 mins late. If they ask why - sorry lads, I've got prior engagements that fit around a Noon kick-off!

I had exactly same situation once.

County Cup match, pitch allocation mix up.

Home team wanted to wait (At least an hour and half I think it was)

I advised away team they were not obligated to wait and if they wanted to, they could go home and I would report to County as default by home team - not able to play the match at KO, or within 30' of it.

Luckily away team were "happy" to wait. I remember, I DID go home ..........but returned as match was local to me!;)

Reactions: SM
County cup? Yeah, you could go home early and prevent the match being played if you want. Your county fa will not thank you for it though!!!

Hang around, get the game played, stitch them up in the match report. Your county will want that game played, they will not want to have to schedule an extra game, and if you want a good reputation at hq you'll make sure it gets played.

What does it say in your County FA Handbook about games which don't kick off on time?

Normally the fine would be subject the County FA discretion, especially in a case of a kick off being delayed by more than 30 minutes. The club may get fined for not ensuring their ground was available and probably more for not agreeing a switch to their opponents field or lining up an alternative venue. It will be a lot more than £10. I'd expect it to be a minimum of £50 for that sort of delay.

Back