A&H

Language

jack.prescott

Work hard, stay humble
Level 6 Referee
Still only being 16 I haven't applies and have no intention of applying for tournament this year but definitely want to in a few years. From you guys who have experienced them did you find any problems with a language barrier? If so how did you overcome it

The Referee Store
The language barrier saved the officials from arguments in the 1966 world cup final!

Je parle un petit peu du Français. That's helps me out, so when a player decided to call me a w**ker in French he had a very nasty when I called him over in French;
"Oi Dix, ici s'il vous plait!" Should have seen the look on his face! (This was an U12's game)
A caution? £3
A sending off? £8
The look on his face? Priceless.

Je parle un petit peu du Français. That's helps me out, so when a player decided to call me a w**ker in French he had a very nasty when I called him over in French;
"Oi Dix, ici s'il vous plait!" Should have seen the look on his face! (This was an U12's game)
A caution? £3
A sending off? £8
The look on his face? Priceless.

Sponsored by Mastercard?

Most of the times English is the "lingua franca" at tournaments, so you won't have too much of a problem. Of course, it also depends on which tournament you choose.

Well I speak English, French and German along with basics in Dutch, Spanish and Polish so my advice is just learn the most common languages in Europe, it's not too hard

Let your body speak for you. If your signals are clear, confident and correct, you will rarely need to speak to players. if you are going to speak to a player, the tone of your voice and the body language displayed are more important than the words used. An upright stance with confident eye contact supported by strong arm signals will go a long way when refereeing teams for whom English is not their first language. You sometimes have to be a little more flamboyant in your signals than you would on a Sunday morning game on the local park, but don't be embarrassed, just enjoy it.

Everyone knows what the symbols mean and there's some pretty standard body language too. Just do your best and you'll be fine. Also, learning a few key words like "tranquilo" and "calmez vous" etc. in the various languages you expect to run into is helpful as it shows them you're making an effort.

Try an Italian game communicating with the ref was hard work even with a simple flag and a few words of English. Over ruled 100% of the time guess what that did to my confidence knocked fir 6. Didn't find out till last game the ref is called 'arbiter' after we scored a goal I asked him how long pointing to wrist and had a go at me to then say 'minute'.
I think if you go to a country learn key words; numbers, footy terms etc. You will be ok in a game

Back