A&H

Kick-Off

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Do you always make sure that all players are in their own half and that the ball must go forward?? I always feel a little embarrassed as it makes no difference and feel it's always a bit pedantic to pull players up for it.
Thoughts??

The Referee Store
an easy one for the assessor to pick you up !!
I fell for that one on me first assessment last season, so i would say yes, make sure they are in there own half, they all know they should be likewise they all know the ball needs to be played forward.

Ha! Ha!
Yes, if I was being assessed, definitely.
I am more interested in whether it aids match control ("this bloke means business") or ("Oh, no, not another train-spotter" (Charlton Fan - LOL))"

It won't aid match control....

except sometimes you don't do it and the other team complains. Then you're stuck between clearly ignoring the law or applying it only because they told you to :)

This all comes down to the manner in which you apply it. Just a quick gesture/comment to 'just step back into your half will you? Thanks', even with a smile. You're applying the law without making an issue out of it. Handle this tiny thing in an authoritarian manner and you'll get the players offside. Play it down and players will forget you did it the moment the kick is taken.

As everyone says.

In a game with nothing in it it's an easy one for an assessor (especially if he is sat on the half way line!) but also and easy one for you to make sure if spot on. You only have to do it once with each team (then after each goal - "Same as last time please :) ), and also before kicking off and blowing the whistle look at both wingers, if they're getting ready to run shout wait until the ball is kicked lads with a smile because if you don't have a look they will happily rob a few yards into their oppositions half.

So you change your game between normal and when assessed? Grrr.......

Attackers - own half outside the circle. Defenders - own half.

If the players aren't even aware to try and get in this position, what hope do you have?!?!

If the players can't follow that simple rule (read: you can't/won't make them do it), then how can they be expected to follow the more important rules (read: you can't/won't make them).

So you change your game between normal and when assessed? Grrr.......

Attackers - own half outside the circle. Defenders - own half.

If the players aren't even aware to try and get in this position, what hope do you have?!?!

You may want to revise that :D

Reactions: SM
Privately managers and players probably hate me and think I am being completely anal, but always enforce it and never had anyone complain when I do.

Find myself constantly having to remind youth players especially. The times where I have ordered a retake because the ball has gone backwards etc is usually followed by a call from the manager "come on lads, must go forward, should know by now".

I was refereeing a game in which a refereeing colleague was playing. He kicked off backwards after a goal was scored. Retake. He did it again. Another retake plus a massive amount of mickey taking from everybody present. Got it right third time :)

Doesn't matter whether you're being assessed or not. Just follow the rules. In youth matches in particular it is material that the players are educated as to the rules. But I always try to be nonchalant about it, saying something along the lines of "C'mon guys, you're U17s, not U7s, you should know by now". Same with blatantly incorrect throw-ins. Amazing how many players still cannot perform a decent throw-in!

Also remember that you can preventatively manage this right at the beginning. After the toss when the players who are kicking off come in, just mention it quietly to them at that point. Simple, no fuss, and doesn't make you look over-officious as when having to shout it from 10-15 yards away.

Also remember that you can preventatively manage this right at the beginning. After the toss when the players who are kicking off come in, just mention it quietly to them at that point. Simple, no fuss, and doesn't make you look over-officious as when having to shout it from 10-15 yards away.

Yeah, I think that's the difference between a great official and a good one: the great official sees problems before they happen and avoids them to the best of his ability.

Back