A&H

KFTPM with injured player off the field

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Hypothetically... both teams have used all their subs. Jamie Vardy is injured with 3 mins remaining of extra time and has to be stretchered off. He is unable to re-enter the field.

The match is going to be decided by kicks from the penalty mark.

After 10 kicks each the teams cannot be separated. Croatia score their 11th kick.

What happens next?

The Referee Store
England take their 11th kick.

If at the end of the match and before or during the kicks one team has a
greater number of players than its opponents, it must reduce its numbers to
the same number as its opponents and the referee must be informed of the
name and number of each player excluded. Any excluded player is not eligible
to take part in the kicks (except as outlined below)

Hypothetically... both teams have used all their subs. Jamie Vardy is injured with 3 mins remaining of extra time and has to be stretchered off. He is unable to re-enter the field.

The match is going to be decided by kicks from the penalty mark.

After 10 kicks each the teams cannot be separated. Croatia score their 11th kick.

What happens next?
The law directly covers this. In addition to James' quote:
"With the exception of a substitute for a goalkeeper who is unable to continue, only players who are on the field of play or are temporarily off the field of play (injury, adjusting equipment etc.) at the end of the match are eligible to take kicks"

At the end of extra time the referee determines if Vardy (the injured player) is "temporarily" off the field of play, i.e. returning after treatment. If so no equalising action is needed for Vardy. If Vardy is permanently off the field (can not return) then the opponents reduce by one before KFTPM begins.

So in your hypothetical, the 11th kick is the first of the second round of kicks.

As much as the law has tried to make it a fair process there is still a loophole for the team going second to exploit.

After ten shots each, its a draw. The 11th (worst) kicker of team A takes a kick and misses. The 11th (worst) kicker of team B walks towards the PA for his kick but 'roles his ankle', unable to get up and is stretchered off. The only possible option is now is, even though team A is reducing one player, team A's last miss still counts and the next kicker for team B (their best kicker) is taking their 11th kick.

Last edited:
Aha! I am so predictable;) That’s where I was going with this - the loopholes...

- 11th taker is ”injured” after opponents have missed/scored their 11th
- after 9 penalties, team A say their remaining players are injured just as team B’s two sharpshooting defenders are ready to take. Team B has no other option but to reduce to equate with those two players
- During kftpm ”kicks must not be delayed by a player leaving the FoP” - this doesn’t mention injury, are we to presume this covers injury or not?
- as above, what happens if a player is injured on the FoP... I guess bring the stretcher or YC for delay of game...

(This always happens when I read the LotG on the plane!)

Aha! I am so predictable;) That’s where I was going with this - the loopholes...

- 11th taker is ”injured” after opponents have missed/scored their 11th
- after 9 penalties, team A say their remaining players are injured just as team B’s two sharpshooting defenders are ready to take. Team B has no other option but to reduce to equate with those two players
- During kftpm ”kicks must not be delayed by a player leaving the FoP” - this doesn’t mention injury, are we to presume this covers injury or not?
- as above, what happens if a player is injured on the FoP... I guess bring the stretcher or YC for delay of game...

(This always happens when I read the LotG on the plane!)

I believe ”kicks must not be delayed by a player leaving the FoP” does not apply to injuries as the clause implies a voluntary action. Even if it did apply, the loophole is still there. In a final, the worst kicker can get himself sent off just before the kick (take one for the team).

If Vardy is permanently off the field (can not return) then the opponents reduce by one before KFTPM begins.

If during KFTPM, you end up cautioning the kicker, and it is his second caution - therefore he is dismissed. I assume that the reduction happens after that round of kicks?

Also, here's a stupid one because my brain isn't functioning today:

Can you exclude the keeper from taking a kick, but still have him participate in goal?

Also, here's a stupid one because my brain isn't functioning today:
Can you exclude the keeper from taking a kick, but still have him participate in goal?
Yes. I believe so.
No. An excludes player is excluded from any involvement in KFTPM so if the keeper is selected by the side, another player must act as goalkeeper.
LOTG p93 said:
Any excluded player is not eligible to take part in the kicks (except as outlined below).

No. An excludes player is excluded from any involvement in KFTPM so if the keeper is selected by the side, another player must act as goalkeeper.
Interestingly... in futsal, you're allowed to exclude the GK and he can still act as the GK...

Then again, all of the players from a team (substitutes included) are eligible for taking kicks in futsal.

Reactions: one
The concept of equalisation and goalkeeper exemption is about fairness. That is, same number of players from each team taking a round of kicks. In other words, each round of kicks ends at the same time for both teams. This is from 16/17 lotg
1531181262962.png

There was an addition to 18/19 lotg to clarify the situation for replaced goalkeepers. In addition to @ASM 's post, while the replaced goalkeeper can't take a kick, the new keeper can't take a kick in that round of kicks if the replaced keeper had already taken a kick.

If during KFTPM, you end up cautioning the kicker, and it is his second caution - therefore he is dismissed. I assume that the reduction happens after that round of kicks?
The wording of the law suggests the 'equalisation' should happen as soon as a player is sent off and is the fairest thing to do. This could possibly create the unfair situations in the above "Explanation". However this is a situation the disadvantaged team has put themselves into. For example, the sent off player has already taken a kick (good kicker) and the opponents take off a player who hasn't taken a kick (bad kicker).

The alternative, waiting until the end of the round to equalise can create an unfair situation for the opponents through no fault of their own. For example the sent off player has not taken a kick (worst kicker) which means the opponent is forced to have their worst kicker take a kick against the sent off player's team's best kicker.

This is a complex situation and thinking about it is giving me a headache :)

The entire related LOTG (18/19):
1531181046651.png

Last edited:
Interestingly... in futsal, you're allowed to exclude the GK and he can still act as the GK...

Then again, all of the players from a team (substitutes included) are eligible for taking kicks in futsal.
And its 3 kicks a team before it goes to sudden death.

Back