A&H

keeper in a cap

Gary Milton

Level 7 Referee
Hey all,

Had this the other day, and don't belive I dealt with it correctly.... anyone had this?

Keeper in a cap... no issue.... last minute keeper comes up for a corner.... no issue.... but he has his cap on.
He takes it off and has it in his hand... should I have stopped play?
Also next corner, he then gives his cap to one of his defenders to hold... same again, should I have stopped play.

I wasn't certain in law so admitidelay all I did was after the second corner ask him to remove the cap from the fop if he was going to come up for corner... unsure if I was even correct to do this!?

Any help appreciated!

The Referee Store
You were right to ask him to remove it. He should leave it inside his own goal before coming up the field, but if you noticed him once he was up for a corner then the correct thing to do, as you did, was to ask him to remove it and leave it outside the fop.

For the first corner, I would only have stopped play if, after the ball was in play, the goalkeeper or his cap interfered with play (i.e. he challenged for the ball while holding it). If you noticed before the ball was in play then yes h has to remove it.

What is the reasoning behind asking him to remove/not hold it?

Don't see how it is any more/less dangerous than when on his head in his own pen area?

Not necessarily about safety (although the peak or buckle on a cap could be dangerous), but the sole purpose of additional equipment should be to protect the player physically (in this case protect the eyes).

I'd just take it that the keeper is gaining an unfair advantage by wearing a cap in the opposition box, as the peak could be used to contact the ball. Waving it round in his hands would be considered dangerous in my opinion. No other player is permitted to wear a cap at any time, so the keeper must be treated the same when outside his penalty area.

Not necessarily about safety (although the peak or buckle on a cap could be dangerous), but the sole purpose of additional equipment should be to protect the player physically (in this case protect the eyes).

I'd just take it that the keeper is gaining an unfair advantage by wearing a cap in the opposition box, as the peak could be used to contact the ball. Waving it round in his hands would be considered dangerous in my opinion. No other player is permitted to wear a cap at any time, so the keeper must be treated the same when outside his penalty area.

Not true, the LOTG permits any other protective equipment for anybody, so long as it is not dangerous. Caps are therefore allowed. ('Modern protective equipment such as headgear, facemasks and knee and arm protectors made of soft, lightweight padded material are not considered dangerous and are therefore permitted')

Page 70 LOTG:

'If an item of clothing or equipment that has been inspected at the start of a match and determined not to be dangerous becomes dangerous or is used in a dangerous manner during the match, its use must no longer be allowed.'

For the OP, it becomes dangerous when the 'keeper starts going for the ball. He should then be asked to remove it.

Seriously? Law 4 talks about the standard equipment, and then protective items such as headgear (a la Petr Cech). It does not refer to caps.

No player can wear a cap on the fop, the peak will be considered dangerous. The only normal headwear permitted are those of a religious nature. Goalkeepers can wear caps when in their own goal area (although this is not explicitly stated) as they can argue it is to protect their eyes.

Seriously? Law 4 talks about the standard equipment, and then protective items such as headgear (a la Petr Cech). It does not refer to caps.

No player can wear a cap on the fop, the peak will be considered dangerous. The only normal headwear permitted are those of a religious nature. Goalkeepers can wear caps when in their own goal area (although this is not explicitly stated) as they can argue it is to protect their eyes.
So what is wrong with an outfield player "protecting their eyes". If keepers can wear a cap, outfield players can too.

Have you ever seen an outfield player wearing a cap? I haven't in 35 years of watching, playing and reffing football. Why? Because it cannot be considered protective.

I agree it's a bit ambiguous, but goalkeepers get away with it as they are at more of a disadvantage than the other 21 players, most of who aren't staring directly at the sun while trying to save or catch the ball.

An outfield player should not wear a cap, keepers are allowed as they don't head the ball as such etc I guess. Remember though in the OPs instance where the keeper has run up to an opponents area to attack if he has his cap in his hand then the cap becomes an extension of said hand, even if he throws it at the ball.

Have you ever seen an outfield player wearing a cap? I haven't in 35 years of watching, playing and reffing football. Why? Because it cannot be considered protective.

I agree it's a bit ambiguous, but goalkeepers get away with it as they are at more of a disadvantage than the other 21 players, most of who aren't staring directly at the sun while trying to save or catch the ball.

I haven't, no, because outfield players are not worried about the sun being in their eyes, and it makes it harder to run without it falling off. For me, caps are allowed in the Laws Of The Game - that's my interpretation.

Surely it would be 20 players?? Not 21

Well I guess it wasn't a daft question to ask then! haha -

I will have a look in the laws again, but my interpretation so far is that GK's should be able to wear a cap in their own goal but once they come up they should leave them behind the goal line... that tends to make the most sense to me(a bit of common sense)... but is that in law?! Do i remember schmichael running up the pitch cap in hand once?

Bear in mind that if a keeper is coming up for a corner he's probably already at least 40 yards from goal in the middle of the pitch when the corner is awarded. Did have a player stuff his shin guard sleeves down his pants after half-time at the weekend...

GKs can wear a cap because it is not dangerous to other players, 99% of the time they're in their own goal area and are challenging with their hands, not their heads. When an outfield player is wearing a cap it is considered dangerous because he is more likely to challenge with his head than a goalkeeper.

Is it dangerous? That's all that matters.
I don't believe it is, so he can wear it. I wouldn't allow him to be holding it though, that's problematic.

Back