A&H

Karma time for referee

During a recent final I flagged for offside and the referee gave an indirect free kick to yellow. The keeper placed the ball near the penalty spot and played it to the centre back, about two yard to his right. As the centre back played I raised my flag as the ball had not left the penalty area. The players were confused but the referee played on. I explained at half time the ball needed to leave the area.

Cue 25 minutes into the second half, same thing happens except this time it's intercepted and a goal is scored. Chaos begins. The referee allows the goal, which turns out to be the winner. oops

The Referee Store
Had a similar incident a few weeks ago, a lot of the players were confused when the ref stopped the game and ordered a retake. Depending on the ref's age he may have been confused as the Law on this changed (not sure how long ago), but that's no excuse.

It's amazing how many players even at supply league level don't realise the ball has to come out of the penalty area at ceremonial free kicks and goal kicks for the ball to be considered in play.

I had this similar and unique situation last season. A defensive DFK from inside the goal area was taken parallel to the goal line by the GK to a team-mate standing wide about 5 meters away from the corner flag. A striker standing in front of the penalty area read it and made a diagonal run through the penalty area to challenge the defender. Even though the ball left the area before the defender touched it, I blew for a retake as the striker clearly entered the area before the ball had left it. Everyone was confused. Even my relatively inexperienced AR told me after the game he didn't know what the retake was for.

I just learnt that this weekend, in this situation, a (rather good level) ref gave an IDFK to the attacking team :D

I had this similar and unique situation last season. A defensive DFK from inside the goal area was taken parallel to the goal line by the GK to a team-mate standing wide about 5 meters away from the corner flag. A striker standing in front of the penalty area read it and made a diagonal run through the penalty area to challenge the defender. Even though the ball left the area before the defender touched it, I blew for a retake as the striker clearly entered the area before the ball had left it. Everyone was confused. Even my relatively inexperienced AR told me after the game he didn't know what the retake was for.
To clarify, i know why you did this, but for those scratching their heads, why did you take this course of action?

Law 13
Free kick inside the penalty area
Direct or indirect free kick to the defending team:
• all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball
• all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
• the ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area
• a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point inside that area
Same thing for a Goal kick.

Unsurprisingly the coach was still not happy after I showed him the quote from lr good book after the game when he asked for an explanation.

Reactions: SM
If the striker had not got close to interfering with the defender who received the ball then are we ok to carry on because the offence is 'trifling'. Or is it a mandatory retake as is the case when the ball doesn't leave the area?

If the striker had not got close to interfering with the defender who received the ball then are we ok to carry on because the offence is 'trifling'. Or is it a mandatory retake as is the case when the ball doesn't leave the area?
Again the LOTG give the answer, this time in the guidance at the back:
LOTG p131 said:
If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team from inside its own penalty area, one or more opponents remain inside the penalty area because the defender decides to take the kick quickly and the opponents did not have time to leave the penalty area, the referee must allow play to continue.
So there's an element of a judgement call but by default you should try to keep the game going.

Back