A&H

Just referee'd my first ever game w/ mentor

TravisW12

Hi, I am a 15 year old boy from Norfolk with an interest in refereeing. I have just referee'd a match for a local team, (Under 10s), and if I can get through my next 4 games and be happy, the club will fund my FA referee course!

I arrived 30 minutes early, the mentor gave me pitch check instructions etc, lots of parents as you can imagine, and I told both of the managers this is my first game, and a lot of the time there will be ''what the f'' moments.

I noticed both of the teams had the same kit colour, I asked away team to put on red bibs if they had them (thankfully they did), and called both captains for the first time ever, shook hands and just told the away team they will kick-off first, both teams were in position, I asked keepers to give me thumbs up, and for the first time ever, kick-off!
(The game was in 4 quarters by the way, 12.5 minutes per quarter)

As you can imagine, my first quarter I was quite afraid to use the whistle, hesitant in decisions etc. But as the quarters went by, I found myself getting into a bit of a rhythm. Only issue is:

There were constant throw-in/corner and goal kick decisions, and I kept forgetting what/who had touched the ball last, which led me to just wait for someone to make it (completely wrong, but I had no idea)

After the 2nd quarter my mentor said he was impressed with me, and gave me a few pointers which really did help me through the rest of the game, and I really did enjoy myself.

Do you have any other tips for me? :)

The Referee Store
If you sell a wrong decision with confidence you can sometimes get away with it. If you are wrong be confidently wrong.

If you are interested in refereeing the best way to learn fast is by working as an assistant referee. You get to do higher level games than you would as a ref, you get to work with and learn from other refs etc. Highly recommended.

Go to local games in your area, this really helped me as you can see what the more experienced referees do and how they do it. Go to referee meetings in the local area too (if there are any). Always be brave to give decisions and don’t change your decision either, your in control. I wish you well and hope you have a long and fulfilling career!

As a relatively new ref myself, I've found keeping a running commentary in my head to help with things like corners and throw ins. Along the lines of red 9 won the header, blue 6 good tackle etc. I also tend to verbalise "blue throw" first, which gives me a second or two to work out which way I need to give a physical signal.

Focus. Focus. Focus.
Relax. Relax. Relax.
Be confidant. Be confidant. Be confidant.

There tips. Three times a day after each meal and you'll be fine. :)

I found my confidence increased considerably once I started to become more vocal. I.e. you wouldn't blow your whistle for a throw in but you can confidently say "blue ball" or "red touched it last" or "play on, great tackle" etc

Thats a good learning skill and as you get more experienced you will find your self doing it less and less, until you stop it completley. Then you will give a wrong arm signal:)

Thank you all for your tips! I've just got my two next games confirmed. Under 9s! I will put all your tips to use! Thanks so much guys!

Definitely recommend shouting, that gives you an extra couple of seconds or so to think about your arm signal, the ball may even have gone away from the pitch and you can manage the restart much more easily.

with mini soccer communication is the key as they are still learning the game. By explaining signals by saying them as well will not only help you but help them learn what the signals are. Good luck for Saturday. Under nines just like herding cats:)

Back