A&H

Just let us play football ref!

SM

The avuncular one
poor game today, despite it being quite high level locally. Very stop start, really niggly and i pretty much killed the game for 10 minutes when the behaviour was at its worst.

At a break in play for a freekick I decided to call in the captains for a chat about how annoyed I was getting and how this was going to impact on their clubs finances indirectly unless they sorted it out. A smart ass by the freekick (on the half way line) shouts out "for gods sake, just let us play football ref!"

"Start playing football and I will see what I can do"

:) that shut him up.

Small victories.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Any time i hear that I say, i will do that, just playing football does not involve shouting at me, so provided you 'just play football' then im willing to go with it

I think its up there with "Its a contact sport ref" when you blow for the umpteenth hacking tackle.

I've given the odd comment very similar to that. As well as "if you were trying as hard to play football as you are at shouting at me you might be winning".

I had that last week. Certain types of games you can be a bit lenient, buy this was a 2nd v 3rd at the business end of the season, small bumpy pitch, ball like a hot potato; match control is everything.
Players just don't get it.

Back