A&H

Join your local Referees Association or at least as a member direct

I know the article isn't related to anything that the match officials did wrong, but I'm struggling to see how the injured player had grounds to sue the opposition club and player.

Unless there's more to it than has been reported, such as the player had been told to injure him, or the club didn't have whatever medical cover is required in that competition.

The Referee Store
https://www.skysports.com/football/...baller-reece-welsh-wins-landmark-injury-claim

I'm not looking for comment unless you have genuine insight and a contribution to make. Please only reply if you have some more in depth detail on the overall landscape, not the game, clubs or players in question.

Does anyone have any further analysis on this case and as a referee, what we should do to safeguard our place in the game without becoming legal experts? (I'm aware of what the LOTG says regarding the Referee and his duties.)

https://www.skysports.com/football/...baller-reece-welsh-wins-landmark-injury-claim

I'm not looking for comment unless you have genuine insight and a contribution to make. Please only reply if you have some more in depth detail on the overall landscape, not the game, clubs or players in question.

Does anyone have any further analysis on this case and as a referee, what we should do to safeguard our place in the game without becoming legal experts? (I'm aware of what the LOTG says regarding the Referee and his duties.)
You need to find some more about the case for anything other than speculation

That case doesn't seem to have concerned the referee at all.

As far as I can tell all we need to do as referees is our jobs.

If you don't do a kit check and a player gets injured because he isn't wearing shin pads, that's your fault for not checking and preventing him from playing.

It's the same if you don't do a pitch inspection and a player gets injured on a price of glass or something sticking out of the ground. Doing a check and not seeing something is different to just rodding it off and sitting in the changing rooms until 5 minutes before kick off.

I found a few things of interest during pitch inspections, the usual broken bottles, tin can macerated in the jaws of lawn movers, a pair of pliers once and the usual supply of canine deliverance..... I'd pick up the sharps but I drew the line at warming my hands on DC.... They we told to shift it before we stared or we didnt start..... It usually sharpened someones mind to shift it!....

I found a few things of interest during pitch inspections, the usual broken bottles, tin can macerated in the jaws of lawn movers, a pair of pliers once and the usual supply of canine deliverance..... I'd pick up the sharps but I drew the line at warming my hands on DC.... They we told to shift it before we stared or we didnt start..... It usually sharpened someones mind to shift it!....
I've had a few beer cans, and random sharp sticks stuck into the ground.

I once found someone had stuck glass end-on into the ground so the sharp points were sticking up. Anyone sliding across it would have had their legs filleted (or worse). Even then, while I was sorting it out I still had players shouting “come on ref! Let’s get on with it!”

Back