A&H

Its very nearly May but

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
game off tonight - waterlogged pitch.

Not too unhappy as provisionally rescheduled for Sat afternoon, when it should be 10c plus warmer!:cool::):)

The Referee Store
Aye, the pitches haven't had a chance to recover from what feels like the last 395 days of rain.

Saying that... Last week I had a midweek fixture called off for a waterlogged pitch. The league refused to accept it, and I went up to check the pitch. Was in good nick, except for a small corner. We played it. I've no idea who in their right mind thought that was unplayable.

Aye, the pitches haven't had a chance to recover from what feels like the last 395 days of rain.

Saying that... Last week I had a midweek fixture called off for a waterlogged pitch. The league refused to accept it, and I went up to check the pitch. Was in good nick, except for a small corner. We played it. I've no idea who in their right mind thought that was unplayable.

Problem is amount of use some of these pitches get. I know there is another U23 match scheduled for this pitch later this week, plus there is the 1st team to consider as well. Having said that, this is the 4th attempt to get this one played, so this particular pitch is prone to waterlogging it seems.

Yeah we have one team that's had the game off this Saturday due to heavy usage. Apparently, they play the youth fixtures, reserves and first team all on the same pitch. It's a bog apparently.

I would look out for a cricket square just off the football pitch in that case? A pitch may be playable, but not in a good enough state that it will be playable a week later after a match, or smooth enough to be a cricket outfield. If a groundskeeper has an upcoming cricket season in mind, he might consider declaring it "unplayable" purely because of the damage a match would cause and the extra work that would be required to get it ready for a cricket match.

I would look out for a cricket square just off the football pitch in that case? A pitch may be playable, but not in a good enough state that it will be playable a week later after a match, or smooth enough to be a cricket outfield. If a groundskeeper has an upcoming cricket season in mind, he might consider declaring it "unplayable" purely because of the damage a match would cause and the extra work that would be required to get it ready for a cricket match.

Mines in a stadium, so the cricket square not really an issue!;)

often teams cannot get reasonable strength 11 to play by now, so excuse trotted out..

would look out for a cricket square just off the football pitch in that case? A pitch may be playable, but not in a good enough state that it will be playable a week later after a match,

Fair points, but no cricket square in sight. Two other football pitches mind! I'd say I'd play on that pitch if you had it rain for another two weeks non-stop. That's how good it was for me. :p

often teams cannot get reasonable strength 11 to play by now, so excuse trotted out..

That's true. They had 13 players plus the manager, so not in this case. They did get resoundingly hammered though, but in that case all they'd be doing is delaying the inevitable!

Back