A&H

Is this true

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByronCoach

Evening all, as some have seen from my last few posts, im not a ref but learning soon, im a coach/manager who wants to expand his knowledge on the game and its laws.

During a U13's game yesterday we had a freekick and one of our players joined the end of the wall, the freekick was from just outside the box and the wall the opposing team formed was inside the box, the lad who joined the end of the wall started to jump up and down, the ref approached him and in formed him that he must stand still if in the wall and keep both feet on the ground at all times ??

Now my question is , is that true when forming a wall do you have to be stationary until the ball is kicked when you can jump and is this the same even if the team tacking the kick enter the wall.

The Referee Store
As long as you're 10 yards (9.15m) from the kick, you can do (more or less) whatever you want.

....and you are not in an offside position obscuring the goal keepers view. :)

Hy Byron,
If the referee thought that player was trying to baulk the keeper there may be some scope to interpret the actions as unsporting, but it's probably a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't support that interpretation, but I expect a number of referees would - probably either an old dinosaur, or a young referee (who's been influenced by an old dinosaur!). If he was waving his arms around it may be a different matter.

If you're one of those who believes that earlier versions of the Laws still have some use (or at least can be looked to in terms of guidance as to the spirit of the law and the thought processes of the IFAB) especially where their provisions have not since been countermanded or superseded by a subsequent version or ruling, it might be worth noting that up until 1996, the Laws stated:

If, when a free kick is being taken, any of the players dance about or gesticulate in a way calculated to distract their opponents, it shall be deemed ungentlemanly conduct for which the offender(s) shall be cautioned.

And yes, I am one of those "old dinosaurs" who would probably still see this as a cautionable offence under the general category of unsporting behaviour.

Last edited:
I have removed the posts which deviated from the OPs question.

Question answered. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back