• Penalty

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Indirect free kick

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
As I gave a penalty with contact and a referee colleague and friend said it a technical offence and I have gave with or without contacts as direct free kicks and of course penalties

The Referee Store
As I gave a penalty with contact and a referee colleague and friend said it a technical offence and I have gave with or without contacts as direct free kicks and of course penalties
Physical offences involving contart are direct free kicks so impeding with contact is a DFK, PK if committed within PA of offending players team.
Impeding progress without contact is an idfk offense so no penalty.

This is black and white in the Law book lists of dfk and ifk offenses.

it used to be that ther book on,y had one flavor of obstruction /impeding, which was an IFK. But it was understood that it was a non contact offense and that if contact occurred during the impeding, it became a DFK offense, most likely holding. But that was an imperfect fit, so they added the specific DFK offense of impeding with contact, which wasn’t really intended to change anything so much as make it more clear.

Other than a few passes to the gk, maybe 1 gk taking too long with the ball, I doubt I have had double figures attacking idfk in the pen area ever.

not one I go into games with any expectation of awarding

I think the question is already answered but I want to add another angle. Nowadays we don't teach technical offence vs normal offence. There are no references to those in the lotg.

If the ball is in play, there are DFK offences and there are IFK offences. There are also some offences resulting in dropped ball restart.

If the ball is out of play offences don't change the restart but may result in warnings or sanctions.

Examples:

Team A attacker runs for ball in 18, Team B defender shields ball within playing distance, and keeper picks up ball.

Same, but this time the Defender is shielding, facing the Team A's player outside the 18, and keeps moving to prevent Team A player from going around them, and keeper picks up the ball in the 18.

Same in either example, but this time Team B defender just steps into the path, facing Team A player, and decides why act like a basketball guard and just run into the player.

Back