A&H

is 26 to old to become a new ref

Hill all so i attending a referee open day on the 14th of June 35 people went i think only 26 people was accepted that was including me i was happy as i am one step closer in doing my dream. When i was at the open day i noticed there were teens there like 15-18 year old d i think i was the oldest person there and the course is in august so not long now i am just worried that maybe i am too long in the tooth to start its just been on my mind for days now cheers guy
Hi
I started reffing at about 41, and I am now doing my badges at 44, as long as you can keep up with play you can do it at any age. Enjoy

The Referee Store
Hi
I started reffing at about 41, and I am now doing my badges at 44, as long as you can keep up with play you can do it at any age. Enjoy
Many will tell you that you don't even need to keep up with play... as long as you're capable of strolling around the centre circle, you're good to go!

Reactions: SM
I took the course age 31 after 5 or 6 years of coaching junior football (34 now). I originally did it just to officiate kids football but got the bug and decided to make a go of it. Only in my second season at open age, but I got the double promotion from 7-5 and am now attempting level 4 (completed the dreaded fitness test yesterday - woo!).

Contrary to what one or two on here have experienced, I have received tremendous support from leagues and county FA in terms of training and development as an older ref, although it can feel difficult to get it at the beginning.

Personally, rather than my age, it's the things that come with age that will stop me going to the highest levels. I have a young family and a decent job, so don't have the time or flexibility that younger refs may have.

It's for that reason only that I say I wish I'd started my referee career 5 years early (I'm fitter than a lot of the younger lads and have been told I have good ability). So 26 is a great age. You'll go as far as your ability, attitude and ambition (oh, and admin of course!) will take you.

Well done Middleman! I have a similar background to yourself with Junior Football. Do you find that Open age is better and easier to officiate?

Personally, I prefer open age. It's a different experience to junior football and fewer loud parents on the touch line. Easier? No, I wouldn't say so. The players expect more from you, some are very canny in 'playing' the ref and for some, you'll always be at fault, regardless of what happens.

At times, it can be a challenging environment, but no matter how hard a game has been, I usually can't wait for the next one.

Back