A&H

Intimidating slide

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
In my game today (Lets say reds v yellows), I had yellow club assistant moan because he felt the red attacker was intimidating and potentially endangering the keeper by sliding in on him when the keeper had an easy collection (he had to slide/dive for it but not under real pressure). The thing is, the red player slid in about 3 yards from the keeper. Wasn't rash, off the floor or anything. Yes the player was being stupid, but he was in my opinion, no where near the keeper and at no point endangering.

As always you get people who say they're refs etc, but he kept saying he was. And based on this was saying I should have dealt with it and given a card for it. He kept saying you can't go and slide in and intimidate players like that and saying he would have.

Am I wrong? Should I have given a free kick and cautioned him if not worse?
I mean, he was no where near the keeper and was certainly in control of himself. Just being stupid was my opinion.

Also in same match, with reds winning by 4 goals, the reds kept laughing at the yellows whenever they made a mistake or when a red player done a bit of fancy skill and beat the yellows. Again the yellow assistant was moaning saying it's unsporting and I should get a grip on it. For this, I had a quiet chat with the captain when he was preparing for a free kick just asking to be a bit more sporting and they know they'll go on to win, no need to rub it in too. They soon shut up but again the assistant wanted a card. Would anyone give a card for this?

The Referee Store
All involved are muppets. I wouldn't card for anything that's been mentioned if I'm honest.

Yesterday had someone doing kickups during play while 6-0 up. If it wasn't for a preventative shout from me, the opposing teams midfielder would have got himself put in prison for assault!! Either way no cards from me.

Agree with Harry, think it's all just a bit of fun and games on a Sunday morning. Think the best thing to do is have a quiet word with those involved, speak to the captain loudly and clearly after so it's obvious what you're doing if things don't improve. Just sounds like a bit of silly behaviour to be honest. No cards for me.

As always you get people who say they're refs etc, but he kept saying he was. And based on this was saying I should have dealt with it and given a card for it. He kept saying you can't go and slide in and intimidate players like that and saying he would have.
I would have a tendency to be sceptical about a CAR who claims to be a referee, especially when he's using it to try to pressure you into giving a decision in his team's favour.

If he was a referee then he should know better than to browbeat a fellow official over something that is clearly a refereeing judgment call - and based on your description, almost certainly not an offence.

If he was a referee then he should know better than to browbeat a fellow official over something that is clearly a refereeing judgment call - and based on your description, almost certainly not an offence.
I was about to post pretty much the same! Sometimes these 'referees' (usually someone who did the course 10 years ago and never re-registered!) need a quiet reminder that they're not in the middle, and they should stick to what they were asked to do in their pre-match instructions.

Thanks guys.

I guessed I was right with my decision but appreciate the feedback and glad I made the right call.
I never tend to take their word etc if they're qualified or not. I treat them the same as any other CAR. Just it irritated me a little bit that he would use that in any argument he felt I was doing wrong.

Player completely unnecessarily sliding in? Even though it's nowhere near it can be highly antagonistic. I think you need to make a judgement call, but depending on the mood of the game and the manner in which it's done, it's the sort of thing that can really rile up opponents and cause a lot of problems later in the match - and can be designed to do just that. So, if you feel like the player is trying to cause a bit of trouble, I'd use roadblocks. A quick and loud "leave the keeper alone!" tells everyone. Next time, pull him aside at the next stoppage. Stupid enough to do it again, card. That's where we're using our understanding of the game to apply USB.

But it might not even be that serious. I can picture this happening a few different ways. Can't imagine why you'd be carding on the first instance here though.

Also in same match, with reds winning by 4 goals, the reds kept laughing at the yellows whenever they made a mistake or when a red player done a bit of fancy skill and beat the yellows. Again the yellow assistant was moaning saying it's unsporting and I should get a grip on it. For this, I had a quiet chat with the captain when he was preparing for a free kick just asking to be a bit more sporting and they know they'll go on to win, no need to rub it in too. They soon shut up but again the assistant wanted a card. Would anyone give a card for this?

I'm clearly in the minority here but I'd have certainly considered a card for the next player I heard laughing disrespectfully at the perceived lack of ability of his opponents. It's most definitely unsporting behaviour. It's unnecessary and will often have the effect of turning a match into a bitter. bad tempered affair. You say you warned their captain about it after the assistant complained which is good but I'd have jumped on it immediately as a referee rather than wait for somebody to complain.

Back